advice re: surgeon's comments

linette
on 10/17/12 1:43 pm
I had RNY in May 2008 (303lbs my highest) 287lbs day of surgery.  My lowest weight was 210lbs about nine months out.  Since that time I have had gallbladder removed, and multiple ulcers as a result of the RNY.  The ulcers form at the connection site on the bottom of pouch.  With that said, I have never reached my goal weight of 175lbs.  Being 4 years out I now weigh 240lbs.  High blood pressure and reflux have returned (never really left), and I have new ulcers constantly forming.
For the most part I still exercise.  My eating habits are not perfect but I am still trying to make my goal weight.  However, I have this gut feeling that I need more help AGAIN.  
Went to see my surgeon who suggests monitoring diet as I much be taking in toooo much.  He said that according to expectations of the RNY I have met them as I lost 60% of the weight and that I must sacrifice to get to my goal weight.  He feels that the RNY was right for me and that I must do more work to lose another 75-80lbs to get to my goal weight.
At this point I am not feeling very confident that this is possible on my own.  I was so afraid to ask about a Revision to DS.  I am scheduled to have an upper GI (scope) next week to evaluate continued ulcer development.
I feel like I have come so far and I refuse to give up!  Can you please give me some feedback?
Hislady
on 10/17/12 2:37 pm - Vancouver, WA
Have they tested and treated you for h-pylori? That is usually what causes ulcers or can cewrtainly contribute to them. Seems if they could get the ulcers settled down you would be able to eat better, healthier foods. Does your doc do DS? Many don't they only do the RNY which is why they keep pushing it. Plus you are more than 2 years out and the effectiveness of RNY lessens over time, the prime losing time is the first year to year and a half. So you may well need the DS to finish your weight loss. Good luck to you I hope things all come together for you.
linette
on 10/18/12 12:11 pm
Thanks for the response. I am adding h-pylori to my research.  The ulcers developed about 1 month after the RNY procedure and they have healed and come back many times so I just attributed them to the surgery itself.
Ladytazz
on 10/17/12 3:06 pm
I doubt your surgeon even does the DS, much less revisions from the RNY to the DS.  You need a skilled surgeon with a lot of experience for that revision.  The best are in CA, Dr. Rabkin and Dr. K.  They would be who I would ask about a revision.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pineview01
on 10/17/12 4:31 pm - Davison, MI
I would post this on the DS boards.  I'm sure there are many there to help and guide you.  You need your p-valve back.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

linette
on 10/18/12 12:16 pm

Thanks I will try to post there also.

Stephanie M.
on 10/18/12 11:47 am
 My goddaughter had RNY 4 years ago, her weight bottomed out at 92 lb (she's 5'9") due to ulcers, strictures, etc because she never quit smoking.  Once she quit smoking, alcohol, etc, the ulcers went away, but she still has strictures and an enormous amount of scar tissue.  Her weight, now is about 130-140, still thin, but she is much healthier.  If by chance you are a smoker, please find a way to quit.  If you're not, disregard this message.  Best to you.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

linette
on 10/18/12 12:15 pm

No I have never smoked nor drank alcohol.  Food has always been my drug of choice.  That is why I've learned new ways of coping so that I no longer have the same relationship with food.  Thanks for the response.  I hope your goddaugher continues to get healthy.

Ruth S.
on 10/20/12 1:26 am - Orlando, FL
If your surgeon is not willing to hear your concerns I would seek another physician.  Find out what length of the RNY limb he went down on...some go 45cm or 75cm (mine was 76cm). I did have a bit of regain and went to a new doctor who then did the DISTAL RNY.  He went to 150cm of the roux limb. Meaning he did not cutting just moved it so my small bowel is short. Having it done lap, I was in the hospital 3 days tops.  Regardless of which revision done...you should know that the weight loss will be very slow..you will still have to get to basics drinking water and eating protein and exercising but you can achieve it if you set your mind to it!!
Ruth S.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/20/12 8:33 am
 Those ulcers are a complication of RNY. The bummer is, it's now not enough to just go to a DS surgeon to upgrade to the DS, because you got the RNY already, and now will be a revision, and that is the most complex revision. Like LadyTaz said, you need to contact one of the very few DS revision surgeons.

You may find other surgeons that will "revise" your RNY, but you will end up with some other type of RNY (probably ERNY) which will have all the same issues, and more. I'm sorry you're going through this, but if you contact Dr K or R in CA, they would be the best to advise you.
Most Active