RNY TO DISTAL

letskeepit100
on 10/16/12 4:37 am
HI Everybody!

I had RNY back in 2008.  I went from 400lbs to 200llbs in about 18 months.  I am 5'8 and carry a lot of weight in my legs - so at 200lbs I look as though I may have weighed 150lbs.  I felt the best ever and I enjoyed it!

Well 4+ years later 70lbs crept back on me.  Well you know not crept but it's back.  I have been revisiting my surgeon at Duke, Dr. Torquati over the past 4 months.  He discussed the BOB and explained typical results of maybe 30lbs and he stressed a BIG maybe.  He also discussed the Distal revision and I have been in the midst of doing my pre-op stuff.  However, Dr. T does not do the surgery however his partner does, Dr. Sudan.  Met with Dr. Sudan who said typically with my weight, height and BMI I am looking at about 100lbs off (80% of my excess).  So, I have been really excited until .....I started reading comments on OH.

Can anyone give me some current advice on this revision?  DR. Sudan did discuss the DS however suggested against it since my pouch is not stretched and I do not have refulx. 

Is insurance really going to approve either?  He made it sound like no worries.

smileyjamie72
on 10/16/12 3:56 pm - Palmer, AK

Keep doing research, and see if you could go to a surgeon who does the RNY to DS revision, to get an HONEST answer from a surgeon who does ALL TYPES of revisions!!!!!!!

2012 RNY to DS revision doctors

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, locted in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Also, you should read these:
http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

And... this is about the DS and Distal RNY:
http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/duodenal-switch-and-distal-gastric-bypass.php

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/17/12 7:41 am
 I would never in a zillion years get ERNY if they covered a revision to DS.

ERNY is the worst of both surgeries. If you have any issues with dumping or reactive hypoglycemia with your RNY, you will still have them. If your weight gain was from the stoma releasing food too quickly that will not be resolved. You will have the issues of more malabsorbtion, which is harder to balance as far as keeping vitamin levels up, and keeping protein levels up, but without the DS stomach with makes it easier to eat the protein necessary. 

I know some who have had revision to ERNY and have really struggled with issues, especially as they get further out. Please poke around on some other boards (I'm sorry I'm not allowed to link for you here) and get some feedback from people who have been living with it for more than a few months or a year. 

I strongly recommend talking to one of the surgeons that is actually capable of doing the RNY to DS revision before moving ahead.

Ruth S.
on 10/19/12 1:46 pm - Orlando, FL

I have had the Revision Distal RNY........I however was medial (76cm) and a new dr did move my small bowel down to 150cm. It was done Lap.  Although I did not have complications at my first surgery...I did have a bowel obstruction early on and then I couldn't go to the bathroom and had to be hospitalized a couple times...that's NOT to say you won't be.  It depends how far down you were done and how much your surgeon would do your revision. My dr told me I would have 4 bms a day due to the new contruction..but that has not happened. I only go once a day and sometimes I don't eat often so that I have to push myself so the weight loss has been slow but it' going...it's a work in progress and it's gonna take a minimally a year to move but that's okay..it's not the same loss as the original surgery. As I have heard going from RNY to DS is  very complicated surgery and the dr better know what he is doing or else....................  and then again...some drs don't do it because of the complexity of it. As far as insurance no one can answer that quetion but your insurance company...do they cover - yes ....WILL they cover it...depends on your coverage.

Ruth S.
letskeepit100
on 10/22/12 6:46 am
Thanks for the great info!!!

Went for my psy eval today.

Doctor gave the option to have the DS

Does anyone know how Dr. Sudan's (Duke) pts have done with revisions?
Most Active