RNY to BOB...anyone have any suggestion or stories?

jmwjskasick
on 10/15/12 5:31 am - Granite City, IL
I had my original surgery back in 2008. I lost about 100 lbs of the 200 I had hoped to lose. Now 4 years and one baby later, I am back up 40 lbs. I have tried everything I can think of to lose weight, but nothing is working with lasting results.

I had been considering the DS revision...but after researching and caculating the costs, my family cannot afford it and the risk associated with it is a bit much for me. I would just like that restriction back again (I don't have much left anymore). I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the BOB (Band over Bypass). I also am not sure how to go about finding a doctor that will do the revision. My original doctor is in Chicago, which is over 5 hours from me (I'm in the STL area) and is not practical for aftercare.

Please help
Any suggestions?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
MsBatt
on 10/15/12 8:34 am
The DS revision would have a better chance of giving you lasting results. I do understand that it's expensive, you'd have to travel to get it, and it is more risky than the BOB. But you also need to consider the fact that the Band is NOT intended to last for more than ten years or so, so you can plan on having yet another surgery on down the road.
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/12 12:26 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
What Ms. Batt said.

That being said, I recommend you cross post on the Lap Band forum, where all the cool kids with BoBs hang out.  Or PM one of the phenomenal success stories like HeatherCross.
jmwjskasick
on 10/15/12 11:17 pm - Granite City, IL
Thanks I'll try that
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
heathercross
on 10/16/12 8:36 pm - New York, NY
 Hi. I just emailed you on here. I am not on here much but please feel free to check out and READ my profile and then I'd be more than happy to answer any linguering questions. I am not for the DS, never have been but we all make individual choices as to what is best for us. In 2002, I chose the RNY, in 2011 I chose the BOB. I am happy with my choice.  I learned a lot the first time which I think makes me more prone for success after failure.

MsBatt
on 10/22/12 2:32 am
On October 17, 2012 at 3:36 AM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
 Hi. I just emailed you on here. I am not on here much but please feel free to check out and READ my profile and then I'd be more than happy to answer any linguering questions. I am not for the DS, never have been but we all make individual choices as to what is best for us. In 2002, I chose the RNY, in 2011 I chose the BOB. I am happy with my choice.  I learned a lot the first time which I think makes me more prone for success after failure.
Heather, I'm glad to here you're having success with your BOB---but I do have a few questions.

1. What are your thoughts on the limited life-span of the Band?

2. What is it about the DS that bothers you?
PCN
on 10/17/12 12:26 pm
I am in St. Louis, too. I am planning to do the BOB (one month left of supervised diet, then sending letter out). I had my original surgery with New Start, and that's where I returned for my revision. I had checked around town for other surgeons willing to do a revision, but no one was accepting new patients. Because your original surgeon is not in the area, maybe someone local would take you on.
Ruth S.
on 10/20/12 1:42 am - Orlando, FL
Another alternative to consider from your surgeon is going Distal on your RNY. The reason I say this is that it involves moving what you already have, done Lap.  In most cases surgeons do 45-75cm of small bowels in the original surgery and if this is not successful...the patient has the option to go down 150cm (which is what I did). And then there are the other alternatives as described by other posters.
Ruth S.
Most Active