Rev from Lap Band to RNY

Rebecca F.
on 10/13/12 4:33 am
 I am have a revision from Lap Band to RNY in December.  I am very curious how others have done with this.  I have not read much about it on here.  Is this unusual.  I had lap band in Dec 2008 and weigh 10 pounds more now then the day I had the surgery.  It has been quite a disappointment.  Any input would be appreciated! 

HW: 347 SW:  CW:  GW: 170

Don't let your last bad decision get in the way of your next good one.....Marvin Lewis    

MsBatt
on 10/13/12 10:23 am
Rebecca, while you still have a fairly intact stomach, PLEASE look into revising not to the RNY, but to the DS. I see you had a BMI of over 50---which tells me you *probably* should had had a DS to begin with.

The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes or high cholesterol.

Revising from the RNY to the DS is THE most difficult revision out there---for the surgeon. (Perhaps it's the easier for the PATIENT.)

Both the DS and the RNY cause permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, which means that with either you'll be required to take supplements every day for the rest of your life. However, malabsorption of CALORIES is temporary with the RNY---it's pretty much over by 18-24 months post-op. But with the DS, you will ALWAYS malabsorb some of the calories you eat---about half of the protein, about 40% of the complex carbs, and about 80% of the fat. This is why the DS has such good, long-term results.

You've getting a chance to have a do-over---don't blow it.
TamaraL
on 10/14/12 4:59 am

you can look at my profile. i have had much success with the revision from lap band to RNY.  you have to be dedicated to the vitamins always!!

you also have to stay true to your food choices and not push the dietary guidelines.

I did not want the sleeve because my heartburn was so severe.  Also my insurance would not cover the sleeve or DS

Make sure you understand the dedication to getting labs and having to take the vitamins daily.  Taking the calcium and iron has been a challenge to me

Sherrie P.
on 10/15/12 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I think most people hang out on the RNY board - that is a very active place.
We here at Revision Central seem to cry a lot about being denied... lol (mostly me...)

If my BMI were high ehough, I would choose DS.

I applied for RNY and was denied.

In appeal..... fingers crossed.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

mpenguin9726
on 10/17/12 12:00 pm - MN
I had the lap band placed in 2008 and I know have my revision surgery scheduled for Nov. 19th. I'm just wondering if anyone has had success or problmes with the revision from lap band to roux en y? I'm so scared to do this. My intial weight loss with the band was 40 pounds and that was a stretch. I did everything imagineable to get my weight down that far. Now with all but 10 pounds of the 40 put back on its been a real challenge. Not to mention that I started having problems with the lap band about 6 months post opt. and have been standing up to eat for the past 3+ years. If there is anyone out there with similiar problems I would love to hear from them. 
jordanltb1
on 10/18/12 1:04 pm
I had the same surgery in 2008. I only lost 25 lbs with the band. I'm in the process of an initial claim to have the revision for the VSG. I need to lost about 80 more lbs. I'll be keeping up with your story because I pray that everything works out for you. My diabetes, high blood pressure, and other ailments have gotten out of control. I need this revision because my neuropathy is so bad.

I will pray that all goes well with everything you are about to go through.
JennLyric
on 10/19/12 12:08 am
 I had the Lapband done in 2003.  On June 29, 2012 I had the band taken out and the RNY done (one surgery).  I'm doing fine and have lost 60 pounds so far.  My loss might be a little slower because I have fibromyalgia and I'm over 40, but it's coming off and I'm ok.  But that's MY story and it was decided between my doctor and me.

It is SO important that our decisions are made with our doctors and our families, NOT by what people tell us to do on these boards.  These boards are for support and that's fantastic, but for the BIG issues (like which surgery to have), please, please make that a decision between you and your surgeon.  Everyone's body is different.
Most Active