Revision due to complications

dittohead2
on 10/9/12 2:35 pm - Marshall, MI

It looks like I will have to have a RNY revision because of possible narrowing of my intestines. I had an open RNY in 2003 and I have kept my weight off. I had (open) surgery last year due to some adhesions on my bowels. Now I am experiencing periodic abdominal pain and the think it is a partial blockage but to dilation of my intestine (probably at the surgery site).

I am scared to death. I had a hard time with recovery with the surgery last year and I don't want to do that all over again. I found a ton of support here over the years and I guess I am back for more. Does anyone know of this type of condition?

I want to get it done ASAP because of the abdominal pain but I also hate to have it done because I am 44 years old and it seems so daunting. I am happy with my surgery and the results but the pain can be unbearable at times. I am going to the University of Michigan for surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 12:44 am - WA
Are they going to remove more intestines to bypass the narrow ones? I would be looking into ways to not lose too much weight if so seeing as how you have kept off your weight. I assume you are at goal weight. A distal bypass is much more aggressive. I am sorry you are having these problems and I know how daunting a surgery at 44 seems. I am guessing that you found a good surgeon and so sometimes we need to just trust thier skill. Not all surgerys are the same so maybe this one will be better than the adhesions surgery. I will keep watching for your posts to see how you are doing.
dittohead2
on 10/10/12 5:08 am - Marshall, MI
Thanks Muzzled,  i assume they will have to cut out at least the pary that is narrowed.  I am not at my goel weight of 154 but I am happy with my current weight of 165.  I did think about loosing more intestine and how that would affect me.  I guess I will have to get those kinds of answers before I have surgury.

My wife is ver supportive and assures me that I will be OK I worry about how all of this affect my kids.  I will be about an hour away and I don't want to disrupt their lives and have them worry. 

I am such a worrier.  I am worried about worring!

Thanks again so much.
pineview01
on 10/10/12 4:18 pm - Davison, MI
You will come thru this with flying colors. (sorry you are going thru this though)   Your just a young'on at 44.  My sister just got sleeved at 49.  I got my band at 51, removed at 55 and will be at least 56 when I get my sleeve.

Take care and the best of luck to you!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

dittohead2
on 10/10/12 10:36 pm - Marshall, MI
Thank you!
Most Active