2 Questions: Bob vs DS? & Surgeon in AL or TN?

Amajeon
on 10/12/12 1:01 am - Huntsville, AL
Can someone give me the breakdown difference between the Bob & DS Revision? Also...Which has the best success rate? What is the average weight loss in an average time frame for both? And is anyone aware of any good qualified surgeons in AL or TN area?

A little about me: I had Laproscopic Rny Gastric Bypass in Nov 2002 starting at 362lbs and got down to my lowest of 220lbs. Dr Facundas & Dr Bradley (a military surgeon) performed my surgery here in Huntsville AL........I was told i couldn't have kis, so with the weight loss, and fertility, i am now a happy mother of a 3 & 4 yr old at 32yrs old. Because of having 2 children, a divorce, & old habits, I'm currently at 279lbs & at the point of revision..

Any feedback would be appreciated
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/12/12 3:34 am
You are not going to find any studies that compare those surgeries as revisions. In other studies, the DS is easily the most successful WLS, and the band the least. 

The problem is that you already have RNY, so the revision to a DS is a bigger deal than a virgin surgery and a complicated surgery that very few surgeons are actually qualified to do. You will have to travel. 

On the other hand, you can just about throw a rock and find a surgeon that will put a band over your pouch, but when the band has such a high failure rate, high complication rate, and according to it's makers is not designed to stay in the body, it may not be worth it.

No one but you can decide how much risk is acceptable, and how important it is for you to get the weight under control. This is truly a scenario where greater risk brings greater reward. 

MsBatt
on 10/12/12 4:35 am
Revising an RNY to a DS involves sewing the pouch back to the remnant stomach, then performing a Sleeve. This also requires re-doing the intestinal part, and cutting and sewing the duodenum, probably the most fragile tissue in the body. A BOB means simply placing a Band around the existing pouch.

There are no surgeons in AL who are qualified to revise an RNY to a DS---this is the most complicated revision out there. There are  DS surgeons IN TN, but I don't know that any of them do this revision. Their names are Stephen Boyce, Al Spaw, and Hugh Houston. Spaw and Houston are in Nashville, and Boyce is in East TN somewhere. I suggest contacting their offices.

Generally, I urge people looking for this revision to travel to either David Greenbaum in NJ, or to Ara Keshishian or John Rabkin in CA.

As Amy said, getting a BOB can be done anywhere. You've got to decide how important it is to you to get a permanent fix versus how much time and effort it's going to take. There are people here who've been successful with the BOB, but---even the manufacturer of the Band admits it's not intended to stay in the body for more than about ten years.
southernlady5464
on 10/15/12 10:27 pm
Boyce is a good cutter. LOUSY aftercare...and he is here in Knoxville.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/12 1:20 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
You are comparing apples to oranges.

First off, while it seems be becoming more common as a form of revision, use of the band in the BoB is outside the prescribed use.  What the impact of that may be, I can't say but I suspect that, should something go wrong, the band manufactures (lap and Realize) would likely deny any responsibility.  On the plus side, I personally know of only one person who had to have the band removed after having the BoB and there are some very successful BoBbers out there, such as HeatherCross.

Second, I'm going say GO BACK AND READ WHAT MS. BATT HAS SAID.  Especially in regard to the surgeons.  Virgin DS surgery is skill intensive and revision, particularly  from RnY, even more so.

Be prepared to pay a lot of out pocket and hope for reimbursement from your insurance, especially if you use Dr. Rabkin.  The surgeons who perform DS, especially the ones who do revisions, are EXPENSIVE and they aren't necessary in network for insurance.  I was personally quoted a price in excess of $20K for revision by his patient coordinator.  Dr. Keshishian and his coordinator knew my insurance would cover removal of the lap band and everything EXCEPT the sleeve itself.  They also knew the maximum out of pocket my insurance would allow me to be charged under any cir****tances (assuming the sleeve was approved) was $6K.  They cut me a deal that, between the surgeon and hospital fees, my share was the 6K.  IT WAS A BARGAIN.

If you decide to go the DS route, please be sure to go the the DS Facts web site.  It will be extremely helpful.
Amajeon
on 10/13/12 4:04 am - Huntsville, AL
Thanks ladies for your feedback.
smileyjamie72
on 10/14/12 9:47 am - Palmer, AK

I had my RNY (from 2-26-02) revised to a DS 12-29-11.

You should read DSFacts.com
Tht is a good website to start at, in making your decision.

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

southernlady5464
on 10/15/12 10:26 pm
For a revision, listen to MsBatt...

The BOB sounds like the 7th level of hell as an option!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active