needing a revision

starstone22
on 9/29/12 1:07 pm - rogers, AR
good evening everone
i had a VBG and staple done 1998, and within the past 5yrs have started to regain weight so i am looking into a revision, has anyone had one done? and if so what did you have to go to? in a bad place because insurance will not pay for revision because i do not meet BMI and no longer have the health problem (yet).

smileyjamie72
on 10/1/12 4:56 am - Palmer, AK

I personally did not have a VBG/stomach stapling.  I had an RNY, I have, however, seen people revise from VBG's (on this board) to other WLS.

Please look into the DS (start at dsFacts.com) as a WLS option.  It has the best long term weight losss statistics.
No pouc, no dumping........ You ge to keep your plyloric valve in tact.  BIG BONUS!!!!  As your stomach can function normally.

I revised from RNY to DS 9 months ago.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

mermaidz
on 11/16/12 6:38 am - Brampton, Canada
On October 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM Pacific Time, smileyjamie72 wrote:

I personally did not have a VBG/stomach stapling.  I had an RNY, I have, however, seen people revise from VBG's (on this board) to other WLS.

Please look into the DS (start at dsFacts.com) as a WLS option.  It has the best long term weight losss statistics.
No pouc, no dumping........ You ge to keep your plyloric valve in tact.  BIG BONUS!!!!  As your stomach can function normally.

I revised from RNY to DS 9 months ago.

How about including the side affects of a DS as well. Most of these don't exist with a sleeve and while the goal is to lose weight, its primarily about being healthy first and foremost.

Your stomach does not function "normally" as you put it.. You still need to take vitamins due to malabsorption so if that's "normal"

• Leaks
  • Blood clots forming in the legs
  • Pulmonary embolus or blood clots traveling to the lungs
  • Infection
  • Abscesses
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Pneumonia
  • Problems with healing at incision site

Additional potential complications include:

• Kidney failure
  • Injury to the spleen which requires removal during surgery
  • Bleeding

As a result of these complications, some patients may need to spend extra time in the ICU. A patient may also require extra time in the ICU if their health is poor initially.

Some complications of Duodenal Switch are more long term, and may not become evident for some time after Duodenal Switch. These potential long term complications of Duodenal Swit*****lude nutritional and vitamin deficiencies that are generally preventable with adequate supplementation. Deficiencies in vitamin D, vitamin A, calcium and protein may occur which can result in osteoporosis, anemia and poor health in general. Duodenal Switch patients should be dedicated to taking supplemental vitamins and minerals, consuming a high protein diet and having their blood tested each year.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

MsBatt
on 11/16/12 10:37 am
Allen Y.
on 10/2/12 3:12 pm - Garland, TX
 I had a VBG in 2002 and in 2012 was revised to RNY. I asked about getting a DS and my surgeon does do those but he didn't want to do anything other than an RNY on me.

I realize that the majority of us ARE  not made of money. Talk to your surgeon about prepay options. Maybe you can beg, barrow and or steal enough to get the surgery with out insurance.

Yes I am kidding about the steal part, but you get my drift.

StephWantsToSki
on 10/3/12 10:36 pm - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with
 I had a sleeve to RNY revision done last week 9/28/12.  I paid for it on a credit card and had it done in Mexico.  My BMI is 32.

So far I do not have buyers regret and I'm glad I did it before my BMI got higher.  I was going nothing but up despite massive exercise and some feable attempts at Atkins diet.
starstone22
on 10/4/12 12:07 am, edited 10/4/12 12:07 am - rogers, AR
if you dont mind my i ask what you paid, and who did you go and see in mexico?

StephWantsToSki
on 10/4/12 12:41 am - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with
 I don't mind.  Because it is a complicated *revision* surgery, I may have paid more.  I think it ended up being around 9k.  drjoya.com has there pricing right on the front page.  
Most Active