Hiatial Hernia repair and Revision

Jana W.
on 9/24/12 6:53 am - Fairview Heights, IL
I went to the Dr. on Friday and he said I had hernia, stricture,gastritis and staple line disruption. He is proposing we fix hiatial hernia and do revision at same time.  So here is my question.  He said he would remove most of the stomach and reroute the intestine calling this a bypass. However after thinking about it sounds like the duodeal switch.  Any ideas?  Now I am wondering if I want to do anything.
pineview01
on 9/24/12 9:02 am - Davison, MI
If I understand you right it is a by-pass that is a cross.  The stomach
you are left with is the RNY pouch.  Than unlike the RNY they remove
the extra stomach as it is no longer the whole stomach minus the little
pouch like in a RNY, so can not be put back togeather.  It isn't like a
DS as you would be losing the P-valve.

Now this is just how a couple people that had the revison said and this
is what our center does the revisons and call them just a by-pass.  IF
your surgeon is saving the long part of the stomach with both the valve
going in and out-and doing the same re-rout as a DS-than that would
be a DS  Only he can say what he is doing for sure.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

scarlettbegonias
on 9/24/12 4:04 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Hi,
I'm having my remnant stomach removed with my Rny - I'm having a resectional bypass due to the damage done to my stomach in my botched previous surgery, maybe he wants to remove your remnant stomach because of the staple line issue?
As pineview said if your surgeon is leaving the pyloris valve intact and rerouting after that then that would be( I think) a DS but iif he's leaving you a pouch and the rerouting that sounds like a resectional bypass.
I'm seeing this as a bonus because I had a huge phobia of having a blind stomach and this way if need be I can take NSAIDs- no blind stomach to get users in
Good luck and keep us posted with how you go

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 6:06 am

I do not believe he is kee[ing the bottom of my stomach. He is keeping the top corner and removing the rest and the remnant stomach as you call it.   He will then attach intestine to the new pouch area. 
MsBatt
on 9/26/12 6:28 am
He doesn't do the DS. He's talking about doing a regular RNY, but removing all the excess stomach. Do NOT do this until you're 100% certain it's what you want, because once it's done there will be no un-doing it, or rrevising to a different procedure.

Personally, I like my pylorus and am glad I'm still using it. (*grin*)  You might want to consult with a different surgeon, one who does the Sleeve and the DS.
pineview01
on 9/27/12 11:16 am, edited 9/27/12 11:17 am - Davison, MI
Yep!  keeping your pylorus is very good.  That is why after failing with the band I am getting the sleeve and don't want the RNY.  I've had enough of artificial stomas.

The pylorus is the difference between Rny(by-pass) and the other big three WLS

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active