RNY "redo" and weight Loss results

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 8:18 am - WA
I know from reading the post here that weght loss from a second surgery (in my case it will be a proximal to a distal) that the weight loss is not as dramatic as the first time. So my question is, Do you eventually lose the excess weight but slowly lose it all? Or is it slowly but not all of it? When you answer please state your surgery type. and how much you lost of your excess weight.
Ruth S.
on 9/15/12 9:03 am - Orlando, FL
In answer to your question...it would have to be YES, didn't we eventully lose the excess weight when it was the original surgery? But then we got uncomplaint and or for whatever reason had regain.  So here we are having or considering having revision surgery.  I had my operative report from my original RNY and I knew the dr had shortened me 75/76 cm which is considered medial.  On 5/21/12 I had  new dr go in and now I'm 150cm short.  He had mentioned that I would be having 4 bms a day and knowing my friend had distal for her first surgery I was expecting diarrhea and never  a solid stool. However, that has not been the case.  I did have two bowel obstructions and my colon kinda stop working for a while. But still I've only have had one bm a day. I have had less appetitide and full pretty quick which is good in a way. However now Im only 4mo out and I've only lost 21 lbs. And the last 3lbs have been primarily because Im drinking tons of water and only eating 3 meals a day. I was thinking I didn't have to "work" as hard to lose the weight but you still have to eat right, and exercise. I'm giving myself a year to see some real results although even with the 21 lbs ppl are noticing my weight loss and I'm noticing my clothes fitting better.  I think the most important thing above all is to be healthy.  If I was to shorten it anymore Dr says one can have short bowel syndrome and reading on that - it is NOT good so Im overall happy and know this is a lifelong journey!!!   I don't ever want and can't have another revision.

Ruth S.
runnergirl
on 9/20/12 5:53 am - Canada
 Hi, I expected a slower weight loss being a revision but that was not the case. I reached my goal before my one year mark and have maintained a weight loss of 120lbs.I am 4 years out this month and to be honest the regain had already begun with my old gastric bypass at 4 years. I am very pleased with my revision and only wished I had done it sooner instead of paying huge money to trainers, weight loss centers etc... the bills sure added up.Oh my surgery is the DS.

Heather
FinallyFit1
on 1/23/15 5:44 am

Runnergirl.  What did they do for you in the revision.  I had RNY in 2010 and have put on quite a bit of weight.  Can you elaborate a little for me.  Thanks Judy

MsBatt
on 1/23/15 6:42 am

This thread is over two years old, and Runnergirl hasn't posted since 2012. You'd do a lot better to start a new thread with your questions. Runnergirl had the RNY completely taken down, then a Duodenal Switch performed. This is the most complicated form fo revision, but also the one with the best long-term success rate.

thebestme2010
on 9/22/12 5:05 am
I had a revision from Lap Band to RNY. I am now 2 years post revision. The weight loss following the revision to RNY was right on track. Here's what I  have learned, each person's journey is their own.
My doctor was pleased with my weight loss at the one year mark. But the addict in me would not allow myself to be happy with the numbers.  I am now wearing a size 8 - according to the clothes that I purchase from the Gap.  Clothes bought from Ann Taylor are size 6. However, I still want to lose and to keep off 10 more pounds.  In my head 135 lbs is the Holy Grail that I have been searching for. That would be a loss of 137lbs.

All the best to you.

Daddy, this journey is for you.  I love you and I miss you.       

HW 240 / SW 221.7/   CW 143

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way" Booker T. Washington
Most Active