Revision. Looking for a Friend.

Spacely StarKiller
on 9/15/12 8:58 pm - Montreal, Canada
It has been a while..........

I am 24.
Last year I got engaged. He doesn't really understand this part of my life...

I had RNY Gastric Bypass in 2006

A year out I got very ill. I had gone from 365 - to lowest 235lbs.
I became so ill I had to stop working and wasn't able to attend school because I kept passing out.
3 Years later I found out that I had/have a Thyroid problem and a hormone issue that has been aided by a Mirena IUD.
I'm not as exhausted as I once was... and have since looked into a revision.

I regained. I'm at about 300lbs.

I'm wiser, I've been through a lot. And this time, this time I can do it. I'm stronger.

I'd like to meet like-minded people with encouraging stories and such.

Really I'd just like to meet someone going through or who went through the same situation I'm in... just someone to talk to about this. I feel like a leper in the wls community because of the regaining. I don't know how common revision is... I just don't know who to talk to.

I have Dreams, Hopes, Aspirations. And now, my surgeon has agreed to revision- I have hope.
smileyjamie72
on 9/15/12 11:47 pm - Palmer, AK

Who is your surgeon?

I have had a revision from a failed 2002 RNY to DS.  I am nearly 9 months out.  I have lost over 50% of my excess weight to get to a normal BMI.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Spacely StarKiller
on 9/16/12 9:59 am - Montreal, Canada
Hello! Thank you for replying, it was getting a little lonely. lol. I have Dr. Garneau (in Montréal) I'm getting a band over my rny - he said that he thinks that this will be a good option for me (I agree) because he will be able to revise it each month as need be. Also this is a lot easier on me health wise and can be done in 6 months. If this doesn't work he is still willing to work with me to find something else that will. He's a different surgeon than I originally had... I had a bad after-care experience with him.

Did your weight originally taper off after a year and a bit as it did with me? (from the RNY) I got really sick after words and slowly started regaining the weight.

Congratulations on the weight loss! That makes me really hopeful.

:) I look forward to following your progress, cheering on the sidelines! :D

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

heathercross
on 9/19/12 5:19 pm - New York, NY
 haven't been on here in AGES......I had a BOB in June 2012. I was 305 when I hadmy RNY in 2002, went to 183. I regained to 246-250.  I am now at 170.  I am at goal, I walk 5-10 miles a day and have 8cc in my 14cc (large band). I LOVE MY BOB!  Email me

[email protected]

Also, all (or most of all) the people listed on my profile are BOB patients.  There are a few dz of us on here.  But, heres the thing, we all had surgery 5-10 yrs ago, were immed successful, left andcame back when we needed it and now that we lost what we regained, we are MIA again bc we are loviing, living and enojoying our lives.

I am with you, would never do a DS but did consider an RNY revision.

Heather

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/12 3:15 pm - WA
I will be your friend as well. I had RNY in 2008 Proximal. I never lost all of my weight and in fact have now regained it back up to 10 LBs short of my original weight. I am talking to my original surgeon about having my RNY redone with a distal. Resized pouch, stoma and distal. He has said he will help me and will know if he can do anything with the pouch and stoma after he sees my UGI results. I am a different person since my original RNY. a wiser, more intuned, not so freaked out about every little thing associated with WLS. I know that I will most likely not lose fast or alot but I know for sure I am going to do everything I can to make it happen. But I will be your friend, we can share the journey. What made you choose a BOB rather than a RNY redo? Have you thought about the DS? I can't get it wish I could.
Spacely StarKiller
on 9/16/12 4:30 pm - Montreal, Canada
Hello! thank you for responding. I don't see the add friend button so you might have to add me first.

At this point, instead of redoing the original RNY I agree that it would be better to try something less drastic, something that can be refilled and adjusted as needed. So Even though it freaks me out a little bit to get the band- it's the button thing that they inflate with the needle... I think that I will feel like a robot! I would rather try this before the rny re-do because that is a much more complicated procedure. The band can be done in 6 months. Also because I had a lot of health issues with malabsorption the first time around.... I'm a little worried about that, so this feels like safe middle ground.

Going into the rny... I really think that I thought it was the solution, that nothing could go wrong.... there wasn't really talk about it failing anyone... or how I feel about me failing it.... I feel like that made a big differance and will make a big differance... I feel humiliated towards those who know that I had it done... because of my weight coming back on. I was roughly 360 lbs before... lowest 235. But I'm now 300. That is like 80lbs back on. It is scary to see yourself going down that same path that you swore to never be on before....

It's nice to know that I will be able to talk to someone(s) about this. Who else would better understand?

:) We can get through this together!

Serenity Prayer

Allen Y.
on 9/16/12 9:50 am, edited 9/16/12 9:51 am - Garland, TX
 In 2001 I weighed 581 lbs. In 2002 I got a VBG and I got all the way down to 216 lbs in about 18 months.

Then my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and my mother began to suffer from altimers and my marriage went on the rocks because of my mental changes from going from a big introvert to a thin extrovert.

After my parents died I put all the weight back on with a vengeance. I felt like putting the fat suit on would save my marriage and it did.

But at 561 lbs all my health problems were back and eventually my regular doctor convinced me to keep looking for help till I found it. I got a Dr who had no trouble working with some one my size and in March I was revised from VBG to RNY. I am now down over 150 lbs and I pray I can get down to the low 200's again. I think I know to deal with life issues with out covering them up with food now.

Spacely StarKiller
on 9/16/12 9:01 pm - Montreal, Canada
Hi Allen!

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry for your losses.

In 2008, just at about 1 1/2 years out I lost someone that was very close to me. I began drinking and taking painkillers... anything to dull the pain. Eventually it didn't seem enough and I began eating again. I totally understand what you mean by putting the fat suit back on.

When I was 235 lbs.. and I thought that I was still huge (it was the smallest I've ever been, but I still saw 365lb me in the mirror... the mental part takes a while to catch up.)

I'm so glad for your renewed confidence and success! An inspiration. I'm really glad that you've shared.

You guys are giving me so much hope :)

Serenity Prayer

runnergirl
on 9/18/12 6:48 am - Canada
 Hello, there are lots of revisions. I had the gastric bypass in 97 and my DS revision in 08. Sadly weight regain is a common issue so you are in good company. Just do lots of research, be comfortable with your surgeon and network with people who get it like the OH community.

Heather
Zee Starrlite
on 9/18/12 11:11 am
Heather, how are you doing since your DS revision?

All best,
Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active