VSG to RNY

AllTheWayNow
on 9/12/12 8:20 am
hello!

I am new.  I had a vsg in 2009 and now a scan has shown it not to be as tight as it should. I have gained 30 lbs of the 90 lost due, in part, to depression meds and my surgeon has suggested a revision to rny.
Has anyone had this dne?
Did it help??
Did you get back on track?

thanks for any info!!

MSM
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/12/12 8:30 pm
 Considering you have half of the DS, which is a more effective surgery than the RNY in every way, it seems like a bad idea to revise to RNY. 

I've only read this question from people that went to a RNY surgeon that didn't know how to do sleeves or DS though, so you'd do well to get another opinion from a surgeon that actually can do all the surgeries. It's like a car salesman - the Kia dealer isn't going to tell you that you'd be better served by a Lexus and send away a paying customer. 
LadyLucky
on 9/12/12 9:09 pm - KS
I'm curious about the responses you will get here.  I had the sleeve in 2010 and am looking into a revision as well.  My surgeon is no longer in the state so I've found another surgeon who is highly qualified in several procedures including revisions.  So far I am looking at the DS.  My one-on-one consultation is Sept. 24 and I plan to ask her if the RNY or the DS would be better for me.  I too have a dilation in my sleeve, causing me to not have the restriction I need.  I originally didn't want malabsorbtion but now I'm really rethinking that. 

Hope you get some good replies on here. 
MsBatt
on 9/14/12 3:27 pm
And one MORE happy DSer here! (*grin*)

You already have the stomach portion of the DS. Adding the intestinal portion entails far less trauma to your body, AND gives you a more aggressive, successful surgery---but you'll have to talk with an actual DS surgeon to get told that.

The stomach portion of the DS is generally made somewhat larger than when a stand-alone Sleeve is done, because DSers simply NEED to eat more. But if your Sleeve has stretched a LOT, it's possible to tighten it back up.

Please, hang onto your pylorus---it's your friend!
Sherrie P.
on 9/14/12 5:05 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
My insurance requires a BMI of 50 or greater for the DS.
I would have considered it.

I am band seeking revision - DENIED - now appealing.

Was actually considering the sleeve.

What was your major issue with it?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MsBatt
on 9/15/12 1:41 pm
On September 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Pacific Time, Sherrie P. wrote:
My insurance requires a BMI of 50 or greater for the DS.
I would have considered it.

I am band seeking revision - DENIED - now appealing.

Was actually considering the sleeve.

What was your major issue with it?
APPEAL!!! This is a nonsensical reason to deny you.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/16/12 3:16 pm
 The requirements for sleeve, DS and RNY are identical.

It should be up to YOU to decide what type of surgery you'd be happy with. If you appeal that 50 bmi baloney, it should be pretty easy.
pineview01
on 9/14/12 7:27 pm - Davison, MI
If I had a sleeve I'd get a DS over a RNY also.

I just got rid of my  band and amy fighting to get the sleeve.  I did good
when I had restriction from the band but,  it was hard to get it right and
had to many medical issues from the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active