RNY to DS

change4life10
on 9/8/12 8:06 am
I am considering getting a revision from a RNY to DS and was wondering how much weight people have lost after having this revision.
clpeltz
on 9/8/12 12:56 pm
That is going to be very individual.  I was considered a 'lightweight' with only 100 lbs to lose.  I had my RNY-DS revision end of April 2011.  Started at 250 and am now 162.  Would like to lose another 15 or so.  I am happy where I am at and look good.  Everyones results will vary.  Revisions do tend to lose slower than virgin DSers though.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Ruth S.
on 9/15/12 8:29 am - Orlando, FL
I had asked my dr about this (not because DS is better) but curiousity sake.  He said that it should not be done or that he doesn't do it or it couldn't be done..something like that.  But I'm sure..there is a doctor somewhere who will do anything for the right price. And according to what I hear it's a more "complicated" surgery.  If I was you I would look into it further. Also the "easiest" route for you is to do a more distal RNY. Get an endoscopy or find out from your operative report how far your origin surgery was bypassed and then inquire if the revision could be done more distally.  That is what I got done. I was 76cm and the dr made me a full 150cm done.  I will have to admit though that the weight is slower and it will take time - it took 2 years to gain 30 lbs so I can't expect it to disappear in 4months (though I would like). So don't get frustrated..but it will take time. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. Whether you do it nor if you can can't afford it - just get back to basics.
Ruth S.
MsBatt
on 9/15/12 1:36 pm
On September 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM Pacific Time, Ruth S. wrote:
I had asked my dr about this (not because DS is better) but curiousity sake.  He said that it should not be done or that he doesn't do it or it couldn't be done..something like that.  But I'm sure..there is a doctor somewhere who will do anything for the right price. And according to what I hear it's a more "complicated" surgery.  If I was you I would look into it further. Also the "easiest" route for you is to do a more distal RNY. Get an endoscopy or find out from your operative report how far your origin surgery was bypassed and then inquire if the revision could be done more distally.  That is what I got done. I was 76cm and the dr made me a full 150cm done.  I will have to admit though that the weight is slower and it will take time - it took 2 years to gain 30 lbs so I can't expect it to disappear in 4months (though I would like). So don't get frustrated..but it will take time. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. Whether you do it nor if you can can't afford it - just get back to basics.
Revising an RNY to a DS is a more complicated surgery---for the surgeon, not the patient. And there are surgeons who do do this, not "for the right price", but because they honestly think it's the best thing for the patient. What your surgeon was really saying was that HE couldn't do it, and that you shouldn't have it done because your were his patient. The Ford dealer isn't going to tell you how much better the new Lexus would fit your needs, now is he?

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, whether it's a 'virgin' DS or a revison.

But I do agree that not all patients should get a DS. The DS demands a highly compliant patient, one that will do in-depth research both before and after surgery.
clpeltz
on 9/15/12 4:25 pm
On September 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM Pacific Time, Ruth S. wrote:
Yes, Ruth, a RNY-Ds revision CAN be done and done well.  YOUR surgeon badmouths it because HE CAN'T do it.  A revision to DS is far superior than a revision to a distal RNY.  There are not very many surgeons that can do a RNY-DS revision, but they are out there.  If you are considering a RNY-DS revision you have to choose from the vetted list, but as long as you stick to the list, you are good to go! 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 9/15/12 1:39 pm
The DS has the very best long-trm, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50---and it doesn't matter if it's a 'virgin' DS or a revision from another procedure.

There's no real reason to think that you wouldn't be able to lose 100% of your excess weight---and keep it off.
smileyjamie72
on 9/15/12 11:44 pm - Palmer, AK

I am a revision from 2002 RNY to DS.  I am almost 9 months out from my revision.  I have lost over 50% of my excess weight.

Please look in my profile.  There is also a list of vetted RNY to DS revision docs as well.

Make sure you read DSFacts.com as well.  Then read it again!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Frankie
on 9/17/12 6:07 pm - NY
I had RNY in 2004 and revised to DS in 2011.  I've lost 86lbs and almost at goal.  I actually started out as a light weight.  In 2004 I went from 287 (day of surgery) to 162 (2005) kept the weight off until 2008 and started gaining.  I gained 80lbs and lost that and a few.  My goal is 155lbs and I am almost there.

Frankie

Most Active