Sclerotherapy? X post

icurn2003
on 8/25/12 6:22 am - Taylorsville, GA
 Has anyone had this done recently? I had it done yesterday. In a lot of pain. My doc is going to give it two sessions and if those don't work, revision here we come. He kind of sprung it on me right before the EGD so I didn't have any research time. Anyone? I know I'm bound to lose on the liquid diet....
Hislady
on 8/25/12 2:25 pm - Vancouver, WA
Are you sure it was sclerotherapy because all I can find on that relates to leg veins and I've never heard of it in relation to bariatrics? I would be seriously questioning him about what and why he is doing this. Doesn't sound right to me.
icurn2003
on 8/25/12 4:49 pm - Taylorsville, GA
 it has been done on bariatric patients.  Most recent post on OH IS 2011. Just trying to find new info.

Ladytazz
on 8/26/12 11:58 am
It has been done on bariatric patients but I haven't heard anyone who has had long term success with it.  I hope it works out for you but I think your best bet will probably be a revision.
Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ruth S.
on 8/27/12 6:54 pm - Orlando, FL
 I was having gastric pains back in 2008 and went to see my surgeon's partner. He did a endoscopy and then told me about schlerotherapy and he did two sessions (2 endoscopies).  What it does is creates scar tissue to close the stoma...HOWEVER....that is never a permanent fixture. He said I needed to get it done yearly but I had employment issues I couldn't do it again. I started having the pains again and sought a new surgeon. He did an endoscopy and didn't find anything but I had checked around before and NO ONE knew about the procedure and I couldn't afford to go 1hr away and pay for a full endoscopy.  I ended up doing a distal revision to my RNY, and so far no more pains. Who is to say the pain will come back.  Honestly the schlerotherapy is not meant for any type of weight loss. I would just go for the revision and save the cost of two endoscopies...just my 2cents worth.
Ruth S.
MARIA F.
on 8/29/12 9:58 am - Athens, GA

It doesn't work. Most reputable Drs. won't do it. It is strictly a short term "fix". If you need a revision form RNY you would get the best results revising to DS.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Tammy Bishop
on 8/29/12 4:35 pm - Buffalo, MN
I think it would be in your best interest to do some research on revision surgery and seriously consider the duodenal switch (DS); it has the best outcome for longterm weight loss success. If you go with an experienced DS surgeon, they can usually completely reverse the RNY and restore the pyloric valve so you will not have dumping and your stomach will function normally again. If you have any questions, let me know. I'm a 8.5 year post-op DS'er.

Tammy (Bishop) Simmon
Insurance Appeal Advocate
Center for Bariatric Advocacy and Support
DS with Dr. Buchwald
1-13-04  ~ 285 lbs. to 125 lbs.

NeeNee1971
on 8/31/12 3:02 pm - FL
I am a Scleratherapy patient. I am on clear liquids for 1 week then full liquids for another then I can proceed to soft proteins and finally full meals. I had it done on Monday. So far I have lost 6 lbs. I am also a RNY (2007) patient. My starting weight was 352. I am now 198. This is the second time I am having it done and the fail was all my fault for not following through on the after care. It depends on the person regarding the fail or success rate. As for a short term fix, I do not believe it is. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

Most Active