Post op 10 year, 180 lbs gone but still Obese

kenyalminatl
on 8/17/12 1:43 pm - Alpharetta, GA
 Hey everyone,
Had my surgery over 10 years ago and I am considered a success story on paper. The surgery has helped my maintain a weight loss of 180 pounds. However, I am still very much obese, weighing over 300 lbs. All my co-morbidites returned after I had two wonderful children but now I have some of the complications that so many of us have after WLS. I have vitamin malabsorbstion issues and neoropathy but this hasn't detered my from whating a revision.  For the last 4 years I have exercised on a consistant basis and managed to lost 40 pounds of the 80 I gained while pregnant. But for 2 years, I have maintain this weightloss and even with using calorie counting programs and group therapy the pounds haven't come off.  I realized recently in order to lose the pounds that I need to maintain a 1000-1200 diet. I believe that I can do this by eating healthy good foods, I am considering going vegan but I feed I need the restriction that WLS gave me.
Just wanting to share my story, so if you're still Morbidly Obese, hit me up.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/17/12 11:41 pm
I had to chuckle at your vegan comment, just because I was the fattest vegan I knew .

Some of us have efficient metabolisms, and after years of research and much reading I'm confident nothing addresses that like the DS. Many surgeons only do bands or RNY, and only a select few can revise a gastric bypass to DS, but you sound like someone that needs the platinum standard of the WLSs..

The only thing that concerns me, is that while the DS is the most effective surgery for weight loss, maintenance and resolution of co-morbs, it also has the malabsorbtion of nutrients, like you have already. They may be slightly different, like fat soluble vits will be a bigger issue with DS, and B vites (a likely cause of your neuropathy) may be a bigger with gastric bypass (RNY), but it really varies person to person.

I wouldn't proceed until you get the vitamins addressed. The band and  sleeve don't have the malabsorption issues, but will most certainly be a waste of time for you anyway.

If it were me, I'd get a hold of Vitalady pronto, and get thorough labs drawn to discuss with her, and follow her suggestion to a T, then find a revision surgeon that can revise a gastric bypass to an effective DS.
MsBatt
on 8/18/12 1:37 pm
What she said. (*grin*)

The DS is really your only option at this point, but you've GOT to get your vitamin levels in hand first.
Teresa G.
on 8/18/12 9:27 pm - Rancho Cordova, ca
Hi......I had wls in 1999 started at 400 lbs lowest was 209...I am up to 249 aft years of exercizing....only up 40 lbs but I worry cause I am 46 and the weight loss is so hard for me ...I just starting researching the rose procedure....but I am not finding an abundance of surgeons that r performing it.....its out patient I am surprised at how easy this procedure looks that places to get it done cheap are not all over the place.  fustrated just starting looking though
Teresa Gaitan
MsBatt
on 8/20/12 3:55 pm
That's because it tends to have very poor results.
kenyalminatl
on 8/23/12 3:06 pm - Alpharetta, GA
 Okay, went to a WLS seminar and met with a doctor who told me of some options I have. Band over the RNY is one of them and the other is actually redoing the RNY. I have to have a upper GI done but it is something that I am willing to do.
Most Active