want rny after failed lap band

tengles
on 8/17/12 4:20 pm - MN
I was banded in June of 2011 and hit what I was thinking was the sweet spot at 5cc. After my 5cc were placed I started to get stuck but I was unable to continue my monthly dr appts in Dec 2011. I just went to my first Dr appt since last Dec feeling like a failure because I gained most of my weight back, they did x rays that now shows my band has slipped. I go in next week to get all my fluid removed before meeting with my surgeon next week to discuss options. I would like to get a RNY since I can't get it out of my mind that I should have done it to begin with. I am wondering what peoples personal experiences are with a revision after a slipped band. I know every surgeon is different and what will be best for me is what both mine and myself decide together. But still looking for some support. Also I have Medicare so if anyone knows if they cover a revision would be welcome also. Thanks Tanya
scarlettbegonias
on 8/18/12 12:57 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 A lot of people have revised from band to Rny- I will be one of them after some complications I had ruled out vsg if you flick through the revision board you'll find lots of different peoples stories.

Good luck I hope it all gets sorted and you get the outcome you want quickly.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

clpeltz
on 8/18/12 7:21 am
Tanya--please research ALL the options before going under the knife again.  Research the DS, VSG and the RNY.  RNY is NOT your only option.  How much weight do you have to lose?  Do you have an comorbidities?  Where in MN are you?  I am in MN and went to Dr. Henry Buchwald at the U of M.  He is one of the best DS surgeons in the world.  I and a RNY to DS revision.  

I am sorry that you are having problems with your band, but unfortunately it is a fairly common story.  I would HIGHLY suggest that you look into the VSG and the DS.  Read everything on dsfacts.com to see if it would be good for you.  Statistically, the DS has the very best long term weight loss maintainence and the very best at resolving comorbidities.  Do you research!  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 8/18/12 1:10 pm
If you'll notice, you see a lot of people here gatting their Bands removed and revising to another surgery. You'll also notice a lot of people with RNYs getting revised to a DS. But know what you don't see? You don't see people with a DS getting revised to something else.

Take good, serious look at the DS and the Sleeve, while you still have your pylorus.
Turtle Lynn
on 8/21/12 11:56 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I had revision from Band to RNY 12 weeks ago today, and I am quite thrilled with my RNY.  You are welcome to read my blog posted on my profile.  

I would also suggest you look at the RNY/DS/VSG boards and check with your Medicare office to see what type of revision is covered with them. 

Best of luck to you! 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

MARIA F.
on 8/29/12 11:30 am - Athens, GA

I have the band and it has been a complete waste of time and money. I may have a slip now. I'm going in a few days for my UGI. Would love to revise to VSG!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active