Does Madigan Army Hospital do WLS Revsions?

ScrapMom
on 8/16/12 11:58 am
I had GBS at Madigan almost 7 years ago.  I'm wondering if they do revsions to DS?  Anyone know?

Thanks!

jzwife
on 8/18/12 12:08 am
yes they do. I had a friend who had RNY almost 7 years ago and went back to Madigan last year and had a revision to  DS. She and I had our surgeries at the same time on the outside. She had her revison at Madigan and I am having mine done with Dr. Hanafy at Auburn general in several months. Just getting started with all the paperwork.
ScrapMom
on 8/18/12 10:49 am
 THANKS!!!

How is your friend doing after her revision at Madigan?  What was her reason for a revision, if you don't mind me asking?

Wendy
jzwife
on 8/18/12 11:15 am
She is doing great. She has lost all of her weight in about 10 months. She had a revision because of failed weightloss. She and I had the same surgery by the same doctor and we have both had a failed weightloss- mine was because of a fistula. I have considered going out to Madigan for a DS but just am not sure if I want the severe malabsorption or not. My Dr seems to think I will do just as well if we redo the RNY and he does not do the DS.
Sharon
MsBatt
on 8/18/12 1:14 pm
Since your surgeon does not do the DS, of course he's going to tell you you'll do just as well with something else. After all, the Ford dealer isn't going to tell you how great the Lexus is. (*grin*)

You're going to have life-long malabsorption of vitamins and minerals with both the DS and the RNY, but with the RNY, you're going to be back to absorbing nearly 100% of calories after about 24 months. With the DS, you'll malabsorb calories forever, which is the reason the DS has such good long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/18/12 12:18 pm
 I'm confused, since I was told Dr Martin there could do the DS, but not revising a RNY, but as a virgin surgery. 

Revision from a RNY is risky, so be extra thorough in researching this. Good luck.

jzwife
on 8/18/12 12:59 pm
Dr. Martin was the one who did her surgery and it was a revision from RNY to DS so he must do revisions. Shes had great success with it.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/18/12 9:34 pm
I'm glad she's rocking it. This is the first I've heard of him reversing the RNY stomach, and that's a big deal. I'm glad we have a surgeon with such skill for our military families.
Most Active