Anxiety over post-op

bandarella
on 8/15/12 5:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I just learned that after my revision to VSG I'm going to have a drain AND an NG tube. NG tube???!!! This worries me immensely. I have chronic insomnia, so once I'm out of the anesthesia I'm wide awake. Nothing knocks me out, pain meds barely touch me. The thought of having that in me for a few days freaks me because I know it will be torture being wide awake with that crap in my throat. I'm actually thinking of canceling the surgery because of it. Anyone else have one?

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:39 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Have you ever HAD drains or NG tubes before?  It's really not a huge deal,  They don't hurt, although, when they are being removed (painless), you can feel it.

I have them post-plastics for a tummy tuck.  NG tube comes out before you leave the hospital.  Drains come out when drainage ceases or at least goes down below a certain level, usually seven to ten days post-op.  Well after you leave the hospital.  The biggest inconvenience with the drains is pinning them to your garments and wearing garments will not impede their function.  I wore nightgowns and dresses.

In short, neither an NG tube nor a drain is a big deal and should not be a show stopper.
bandarella
on 8/15/12 6:49 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I've never had either. Surgeons said both will come out before I go home. They just asked me to please not pull out the NG tube because it's a nightmare if I do. So that's what has me so concerned.

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 11:32 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I could understand that.  But, as long as they told you not to, you should remember and be fine.

Be cool, it'll be fine.  As long as you remain calm and embrace it as the entry into the next phase of your journey.
scarlettbegonias
on 8/16/12 1:49 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
I woke up with both, the drain I didn't even notice the NG tube was annoying and gross coming out but that was all. Defiantly not worth canceling over.

Good luck
Most Active