Which surgery should I have now?

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 6:08 pm
I had lap band surgery in Mexico approx 8 years ago. I never really lost weight. When I would get the band tight enough to feel the effects, I would have terrible reflux. After several years, I had the band replaced with another band and a hiatal hernia repaired, but after healing, again same problems. The reflux got so bad I finally had it removed about 3 years ago. I lost 50 lbs on Optifast but gained it all back and then some. I am scheduled to talk to my doctor next week about gastric sleeve surgery. This surgeon doesn't do gastric bypass so gastric sleeve would be my only other option. Will I have the same reflux problems with gastric sleeve? I have been unable to find a surgeon other than my original surgeon to even talk to me about any kind of surgery. I live in Birmingham but drive to TN to see Dr Ponce. He is great and top notch but I am worried gastric sleeve will just mean the same problems as I had with lap band with no weight loss! Any similar experiences? Any surgeons who might be willing to work with me?
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:44 am, edited 8/14/12 11:44 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

There are a LOT of surgeons out there.

Did you have reflux BEFORE you had the band? If so, you probably DON'T want a sleeve. If not, it was probably BAND INDUCED and is unlikely to recur with the sleeve.

If you want RnY and your surgeon doesn't do it, you should consider seeing another surgeon for at least a second opinion. Remember, Dr. Ponce isn't the one who will be living with your surgery, you will.

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:54 am
No it was def band induced, but 2-3 years after band removal, I still have to take a Zegarid each day for "heartburn", something else I never had to do prior to the band! Dr Ponce was the only doctor I could find within driving distance of Bham who would do fills for me after my original surgery in Mexico. Lucky for me, he is the best around!

Since then, I have tried to find a surgeon locally, but when I tell them my history and that another doctor(s) did my previous surgeries, they won't talk to me anymore about other procedures. Do you know of other reputable docs in the Southeast that will perform a gastric bypass on a former lap band patient whom they have never seen?

but it sounds like a sleeve might be ok for me. I simply cannot go through all the reflux issues I had with the lab band....feeling like I was drowning every night!
MsBatt
on 8/15/12 3:59 pm
Your profile doesn't tell me your BMI, but since you say you never lost weight with the Band, I suspect you have metabolic issues that need to be addressed. Since you're going to TN, why not consult with Dr. Hugh Houston, in Nashville? Dr. Houston does all four WLS procedures---Band, Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and (my personal favorite) the DS/duodenal switch.

The Ds has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than  50. It's also the best at resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol. And for me at least, it's completely cured my reflux troubles.
lelagoddess
on 8/18/12 2:00 pm
I'm revising from the band to RNY...I started having reflux about 2 years ago with the band, and my surgeon ordered several tests for me, including a esophogeal motility test.  Apparently, the band has caused not just regular reflux but has caused me to have slowed esophogeal motility.  Therefore, he has *strongly encouraged* me away from the sleeve.    there isn't a lot of sleeve research data that's out there, but there GERD patients are almost always directed to the RNY.

Good luck!

MARIA F.
on 8/17/12 11:24 pm - Athens, GA

As Msbatt said, Dr. Housted if very good. Also Dr. Steinburg in Atl. will take patients that had surgery in MX. He's excellent, but he just does RNY and VSG, he doesn't do DS.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/18/12 9:32 pm
I don't think many posters here realize how important it is to pick the surgery first, and only then pick a surgeon. If you do it the other way around, then your surgery type is often picked for you just by virtue of what they perform. You resemble that remark, lol.

You deserve better. Look at the different surgeries, and pick what would work best for you, unless you want to keep having these surgeries until you have so much scar tissue no surgeon will touch you for the next revision. And you are part way there. I second Dr Houston.
Most Active