I NEED A REVISION!

NY2ATL *
on 8/13/12 3:26 pm
I've been away awhile but have been doing fine weight wise. I happily made my goal of 125 pounds 2 years ago. I  was fluctuating about 5-7 pounds up or down, but maintaining!
Here's my problem:
I've had my band nearly 3 years and about 2 yrs ago started having digestive issues. Getting stuck alot, nauseous, vomiting and constant stomach pain. I had all the fluid removed from my band about 18 months ago, and toughed it out. I managed to maintain my weight loss til about a year ago when it got so bad I could no longer eat meats, chicken, fish, vegetables or low sugar fruits. ( I'm an avid low carber!) I was forced to eat soft mushy foods that were of course, much starchier. I started to gain weight and in about a year I've gained over 35 pounds. I was so depressed and I felt like such a failure. And so weak. I couldn't even face my surgeon, but it got so bad I finally went to a gastroenterologist. He did an endoscopy, ultra sound and a barium swallow.
The verdict is my band has slipped, about 28 degrees,
I have several gastric ulcers (non H-Pyloric) and a hiatal hernia.
He advised removal of my band ASAP and coversion to RNY surgery. (I'm on Medicare and the Sleeve is not covered.) Has anyone had a problem getting revision surgery covered by Medicare if the first surgery caused medical complications? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TamaraL
on 8/13/12 5:45 pm
i remember you from the lap band forum!!!

I would not suggest any revision until the ulcers have healed.  You may want to have the band removed, let the stomach heal and then revist to RNY.  They are hoping the sleeve will get covered by medicaire soon.

Be careful revising if there are already problems.  Remember Jean that wrote the lap band book, she had to also have her band removed.  I revised Oct 2010 and have the RNY and am so much healthier!!!!!

Tamara

NY2ATL *
on 8/14/12 8:38 am
I'm pretty bummed about this! My biggest concern is will Medicare cover the revision? I don't mind waiting between procedures, I just need to make sure it will get paid for. I keep getting different answers!! If anyone can definitively answer that question, I'd be SO HAPPY!
sfnativewm
on 8/14/12 6:12 am
I am sorry this is happening to you!      I used to read your daily posts and get lots of help from them!

Good luck to you!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

NY2ATL *
on 8/14/12 8:39 am
Thank you
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 8:14 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Welcome to the club.  I'm sorry this is happening to you, too.

If you have gastric ulcers, it's probably in your better interest to have the band removed and wait a few months before revision.

I believe that Medicare recently approved the sleeve, although the documentation is somewhat lagging.  By waiting for the ulcers and other healing to occur after removing the band, it would also allow the sleeve approval documentation to become clearer if you are more interested in that, rather than RnY.  (I am not on Medicare so I don't know the ins and outs beyond recently reading about this somewhere on OH.)

I'm less than a week down from removal of the band and revision to the sleeve myself.

P.S. Nice to see you, although I wish the cir****tances were better.
NY2ATL *
on 8/14/12 8:46 am
It hasn't been approved in GA yet :(
I am going nuts trying to get a straight answer about Medicare paying for the Revision. It would seem they would since I only need the revision because of complications from my band surgery. I'm not doing this for fun! LOL

Thanks for the kind words

Hislady
on 8/14/12 1:29 pm - Vancouver, WA
I too remember you from the band forum, sorry you've had to join our unhappy and rapidly growning group. My band continues to tighten till I finally got it emptied and it will stay that way until I can get a revision. Hopefully I'll get the sleeve once I get Medicare age and I agree it has (sorta) been approved but it seems to depend on where you are and how hard you want to fight. I wish you the best and hope things eventually go the way you hope!
NY2ATL *
on 8/14/12 8:07 am, edited 8/14/12 8:07 am
I'm on Medicare because I have degenerative scoliosis, and when my husband passed I was able to apply as a disabled widow on my husbands SS record. (He was a bit older than me)
I hope things work out for both of us :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 2:38 pm - WA
Medicare absolutely covers Revision. Without the hassle of proving it is necessary. Revision is handled just like it was a new surgery.
Most Active