Severe malabsorption-may need revision-Help

vkhill22
on 8/11/12 7:14 am - Duluth, MN
I have had severe diarreah since I had RNY last June 1st. I am currently in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration. I went from top weight of 260 to 100 pounds. I just can't keep anything in me. I'm so weak and pooped out. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience? They have run every test imaginable to figure out the chronic diarreah. Nothing has explained it. Now they are thinking that I may need a revision to reattach intestine to a different spot so I can absorb nutrition. I know this is unusual but I really need answers. I am so scared. I'm tired of being sick and tired. Please help.

MsBatt
on 8/11/12 9:54 am
I'm sorry you'r going through this. Do you know how much your surgeon bypassed?

Now---what about vitamins and supplements? Can you tell us what you've been taking? How about what you're eating? Do you throw up, too? Have they tested you for bacterial overgrown, or prescribed probiotics? What about pancreatic enzymes?

You should also post this on the DS board. Not because we have many DSers with your symptoms, but because DSers as a whole are far more knowledgeable about supplements, bacterial overgrowth, etc.

You should also seek out some other WLS sites, like www.dsfacts.com. The DS is designed to cause more malabsorption than the RNY, so there's info there n how to keep yourself healthy with a high degree if malabsorption. Malabsorption does NOT have to equal malnutrition!
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 10:13 am - WA
Was your RNY a Distal? Maybe they can revise you to a Proximal?
Ruth S.
on 8/11/12 3:07 pm - Orlando, FL
Vkhill...for YOUR information...you should inquire how much small bowel has been bypassed.  I know if they did to much - it could be dangerous and they need to revise it so that you are able to get nutrition. How long did it take to get from 260 to 100 lbs?? I'm bypassed 150cm recently at 3mo post op right now and I have not lost much weight but it can because it is recent.  I would be interested to know some of this info..out of curiousity. It has happened that they have gone to far down the Y Limb and this COULD be the problem..please keep bugging them til they get to the sourse of the problem so that you can get relief! Best of luck!
Ruth S.
Hislady
on 8/11/12 4:50 pm - Vancouver, WA
Sorry I have no ideas for you but here's a big hug  and prayers that they will fix you up sooner rather than later!!!!!
gorditabonita
on 8/12/12 8:02 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
I have no info for you, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are well soon and that the drs figure this all out soon. You poor thing....here's a big HUG.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Ladytazz
on 8/12/12 2:14 pm
I agree with MsBatt, it could be bacterial overgrowth.  I had chronic bacterial overgrowth before my revision because of the way my intestines were configured.  The day I had my revision to lengthen my common channel was the last day I had bacterial overgrowth.  One way to know if it's bacterial overgrowth is to see if your doctor will give you Flagyl.  If it is overgrowth that should help and you may be able to take probiotics to keep the bad bacteria down and the good bacteria up.  Eating cultured yogurt can help do the same thing.
For me a revision solved my issues although it took a long time to get my health back but I would try everything non surgical and only have surgery as a last resort.  Make sure you get all your labs done and get your levels up, try enzymes to help absorb more and see if that helps.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jzwife
on 8/18/12 11:27 am
What type of revision did you have? I'm just curious and trying to do my homework here!
Ladytazz
on 8/18/12 11:29 am
I had a revision on my common channel.  It was 100 cc and the doctor made it 200 cc.  Seems to be good enough as I lost all my excess weight and then some.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active