Lapband Failure , Wondering what to do now?

Snackaholic
on 8/4/12 4:26 am
Hello,

I had lap band surgery in 2006, I did very well, lost about 85 lbs.  As the years went on, I slowly gained some back, but band was working well.  In Jan, 2012 I noticed I was gaining weight, could eat anything, and had NO RESTRICTION.

Went to surgeon he tried to do a fill, Would not take, said I had a leak?  I was in shock?  The thought of another surgery freaked me out.

Went back a month later, He tried again, same result.

Went to get a 2nd opinion at new doc, same thing, failed fill attempt, scheduled a florascopy.
Florascopy showed NO LEAK, but a kink in the band in tubing?

I now have copy of the DVD florascopy and will be taking it to original surgeon in late August. Meantime this year have gained back 90% of all the weight and heartache.

So my choices will be:
1, Have it fixed if possible?
2. Have a new one put in?
3. Take it out and try Weigh****chers for Men?
4. Take it out and have By-Pass Surgery.

I am a man who is 6-2 and at top was 335 lbs, Got down to 250 and was happy and healthy at that weight, goal was about 225. I am now back to 320 OUCH

Any suggestions from others who had lap band issues is appreciated.  Thanks.
lelagoddess
on 8/4/12 6:24 am
You might have another option--the vertical sleeve (VSG).  I had a different type of lap band failure...throwing up if it was tight enough to have any restriction, not losing any if it wasn't that tight.  I've opted for a revision to VSG--it wasn't covered by insurance in 2007, when I had mine, but it follows the same concept of pure restriction, less hunger, no malabsorbtion that I wanted from the band.

I would never have mine fixed or a new one put in.  This may be a good time to reconsider your options.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Hislady
on 8/4/12 7:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Uswually once you've had a serious issue with the band it is never the same when fixed. It just continues to give you problems. I would also suggest a sleeve if at all possible, then you don't have to worry about fills and problems with restriction.
Sherrie P.
on 8/4/12 11:10 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Well,  I too have heard that trying to fix the band is usually not as good as it was in the beginning.

Would you want to put something back that might fail again?

3 - did you do WW before?  Were you successful?  Not to be a downer, but if most of us could have lost weight with WW - we would be on that board instead of this one.

I am hopefully getting the band out and RNY next month!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

pineview01
on 8/4/12 2:35 pm - Davison, MI
Check out this thread.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4548112/If-your-h aving-Lap-Band-problems/

I would never get it fixed.  My band was never right after just having all the fluid taken out to test.

Had a couple medical issues caused by the band. That was only a year out.  I have put up with medical problems for 1.5 years.  It just keep getting worse.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

anitawiaz
on 8/5/12 10:00 am
 My band was not the same after I had my port replaced in March. Vomitting, port pains, heartburn my vitamin level was already low but now it's even lower. I wish you luck this thing is a monster.

MARIA F.
on 8/5/12 3:36 pm - Athens, GA

If I were u I would cut my losses and not waste any more money on the band. Most bandsters revise to VSG. That is what I am hoping to do as well.

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/12 3:36 pm
I am so agreeing with EVERYONE here... sleeve it...
terilynn112
on 8/7/12 1:22 am - maryland, NY
I would never go back for a second band/repair. I am a band to bypass revision, and loving my new life.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Turtle Lynn
on 8/7/12 3:21 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I had Band to RNY revision 10 weeks ago today and am down 42 lbs.  You are welcome to read my blog on my profile outlining my experience.  

Good luck to you!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Most Active