Band revision

HondaRN12
on 8/2/12 9:46 am - MN
Well, I am not sure where to start.  I guess I am posting to see what people think about my "chances" of getting a revision.  I was banded April 21st 2009, and have been successful, losing 75lbs.  My port broke this past Christmas and I had just the port replaced, and it hasn't been the same since.  I gained 25 pounds right away and I have NOT been able to lose the weight since.  I am back to my pre-breakage fill amount and still not having any success, and it just doesn't feel the same way it did before I had the port replaced.  I am NOT happy with my weight loss yet, and would like to loose another 50-60lbs.  My band isn't currently broken...to my knowledge...but without success is that enough to get a revision?!  Thoughts would be well appreciated!
Hislady
on 8/2/12 11:32 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I have read where when the band is repaired it never goes back quite where it was before and that sometimes you need more fill than before just because of the difference. Insurances are getting really nasty about doing revisions from the band especially when there is no actual defect with the band itself. That said some folks have been able to push and appeal and get revisions but they have to fight for it, arew you ornery enough to fight them? Then give it a whirl If you could come up with some heart burn it might help. Otherwise you might have to resort to self pay. I wish you luck whatever you decide!
HondaRN12
on 8/2/12 11:38 am - MN
I do get reflux, but nothing a Tums doesn't take care of.   Maybe I just need to wait it out till it breaks again.  Chances are it will, I am only 32 years old...
gorditabonita
on 8/2/12 11:45 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
I hope it works out for....if it is not working for you then it seems like a no-brainer that a revision should be covered. So many of us are having problems.....I am beginning to wonder if these are even safe.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

cheryl795
on 8/10/12 5:01 pm
I am having band revision to vsg on 8/22!!  t-12 and counting..
had hte band for 2 years.. worked at first but alwasy had problems filling, unfilling, fillling unfilling.. what a pain.. then started throwing up all the time only to discover a hiatal hernia.. so insurance willl cover the bandj remove, and the hernia fix, but  not the sleeve.. go figure, i am not fat enough now although i am still over 200 lbs.. so i elected to pay out of pocket for the sleeve part... i am very excited and cannot wait.. i have seen and heard great success stories  with the VSG.. good luck to you too!!  Cheryl.. waiting in Walker, LA..
pineview01
on 8/3/12 2:35 pm, edited 8/4/12 1:56 pm - Davison, MI
First I would have them pull ALL the fluid out of the band and see if in fact you do have the same amount in there.  Also you might ask if they had "primed" the band during the first surgery. 
In my case, and that alot of others reported, was ~3cc.  Maybe they didn't count this/prim
the line when they changed the port. 

If none of that is the case, mine never worked the same after my first unfill!

It is hard to say what your chances are.  Some seem to have no issues.  If you can't lose
at all, you may have a chance.  I spent the last 18 months try to get mine to work. 
My PCP & Surgeon both feel it needs to come out for medical reasons.  Now the insurance
will aprrove the removal, they are saying I can't get another WLS.  But, they would replace
bands and ports and pay for fills and unfills over and over, go figure.

You need to document everything.  There is a good post here somewhere. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jerseyjandj
on 8/3/12 3:22 pm - keyport, NJ
hey , i had my band in 09 also did great ! 270i****o ish in 8 months .. in 11'' my band slipped after birth of my twinnies , port issues and the band started to rot sooo a yr of waiting gained all my weight back plus 20 pds.. had my revision 4/26/12 im down again 80pds .. put it feels great to eat real food and not be fickle ... i hope for the best !!let us know whats going on ~jenn

AJRRNC
on 8/3/12 4:04 pm
I have the band and I am scheduled for mgb 8/23/12!!!!Yahoo...Have been dealing with insurance since last April. It took months....Problems started with my band after about 1 year, then down hill ever since.Fill, unfill,fill unfill......discomfort all the time. Unable to deal with this mess, just glad it won't be long now and I will be having, hopefully my last surgery ever.....I have gained just about all of my weight back since band has been unfilled for the past year. It is alot to deal with. But you CAN get approval if you stick with it, I am proof.
pineview01
on 8/4/12 2:05 pm - Davison, MI
Just document all the reflux.  When you are to tight get unfilled.  When your too lose get filled.  Keep track of everything and document.

Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ceedott
on 8/6/12 4:05 am - PA
i just got the call that i'm approved for removal of the band had alot of issues with heartburn food getting stuck etc now i have Esophageal dysphagia and my dr won't even discuss revision until 6 months after my removal and give me time to heal..i just wanted to start the proccess bc i know i'm going to have to fight with my insurance to even get considered for a revision if the approve me ..only time will tell praying for the best
Most Active