revision from previous RNY

davis8701
on 7/30/12 5:54 am
Anyone had the laparoscopic RNY revision after originally having RNY? I just had my revision on 6/25/12 my original RNY was in 04'. Anyone have any stories to share on their weight loss journey. I was told that the weight can be slow to come off on a revision. I was 334 preop and have lost 36 pounds 5 weeks postop. Just wondering if the weight loss will be at least 50 to 60% of the orginal weight like in the first RNY. Any info such as their average weekly weight loss would help. I do know everyone is different but just any personal stories would be good
IceMama
on 7/30/12 7:25 am
Wow you have lost just as much as I have and I am 3 months out. That does not sound like slow weight loss at all.

Congrats and keep up the good job!
My Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ItAintDaEazyWay

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
RNY 3-22-06 302/158/138;''''
Weight Regained = 225lbs, Revision 4/27/12
happygirl01
on 7/30/12 7:34 am
I didn't know they could revise the RNY with RNY...You are doing great.
Ruth S.
on 8/10/12 4:33 pm - Orlando, FL
The "revision" to the RNY is that they lower the Roux Y connection to less small bowel so that you start malabsorpting once again. Im not sure but I think the max amount is 150cm.  The average adult has 300cm of small bowel...so in the revision they take a total of 150cm.  I was  previously 76cm and he moved me down about 74cm (guesstimating) so that Im 150cm...I have to ask him to be sure. But that is the distal RNY revision of RNY.
Ruth S.
davis8701
on 7/30/12 8:09 am
Well I do not know the exact technique that was done but it was laparoscopic as opposed to the first one the was done with the long incision. This was a different surgeon who is very good in what he does though. I had a hiatala hernia repair along with the revision. I was just wondering how slow the average weight loss would be or the overall weight loss outcome. I have not lost anything this past week though. But thanks, I feel a little better knowing that I am doing pretty good..now if I could just regain some energy to do some exercise
Whit
on 7/31/12 5:01 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 I am having this done too. My surgeon said 30-50 pounds but it would take allot of work on my part. Such a wide range...you are male? Sorry but I gotta ask! There is a gentleman in my support group who had this done and has lost 60 pounds! 

Best,
Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

davis8701
on 7/31/12 5:33 am
No I am a female in my early 30's. Is that the max weight loss you are expected to lose? I am a bit disappointed because I don't recall my doc telling me this initially. I am please with any weight loss but I really would have thought twice of doing this again for such a small amount. I have an appointment with the doc again in a couple of weeks and I will definitely be asking about it. I do know everyone is different and there can be metabolic issues but it is defintely something people need to be aware of.
Whit
on 7/31/12 6:00 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Everyone is different I am 49 and menopausal. You are doing really good.  I originally lost 110 pounds but have gained back about 65. I would be happy to lose that 60 pounds.  As I see it there are 3 things I could do besides nothing... Band over Bypass, DS or this RNY to RNY. My Surgeon does not do the BOB I asked. There are several people on this board that are having success with that.  Conversion to the DS is so drastic and not something I want to do.  Keep us updated on your progress and what your Dr has to say about expectations.
Best,
Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

davis8701
on 7/31/12 6:44 am
Yeah I was originally 390 the 1st time around and lost 200 pounds. But I gained 134 pounds back I am happy to have lost any amount of weight though but my expectations were not fully laid out as I expected. I will defintely keep everyone posted on my progress and what my Dr has said. Thanks and best wishes to you as well.
Ruth S.
on 7/31/12 2:16 pm - Orlando, FL
 I had my Revison in May/12 from my original in 2004 - similiar to you. It does feel slower weight loss..but I don't feel hungry and sometimes don't want to eat. I might be in starvation mode..which I hate! But it's hard to get anything and if u work out..that lowers your calorie count. I guess I should about this..I've only lost 19 lbs in 2mo when I did that in 2 weeks from my original surgery. I hope to lose my 30lbs but want 60 which would be normal for me...
Ruth S.
Most Active