Looking for LapBand to Sleeve Success Stories

mary101678
on 8/4/12 6:25 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
My revision was done in one procedure. Surgery took two hours.

DAGertis
on 8/5/12 3:38 am - Bothell, WA
I'm in the process of deciding on WLS and the two options I have decided on are the Lapband and the Sleeve.  Thanks everyone for their stories.  I really want to know about the bad and the ugly of both.  I want to be able to make an informed decision.
pineview01
on 8/6/12 2:56 pm, edited 8/20/12 11:02 am - Davison, MI
There are at least two groups just on here about failed lap bands.  Keep researching.  I so wish I had waited for the sleeve.  Everyday I wish I hadn't gotten the band.  When I did my research the band board was one of the biggest, fastest posting. They were full of shineshine and glory.   I didn't  even know there was a sleeve board until I stumbled on a poster loveing
her sleeve.."her what I wondered"  This was before I was banded.  I researched and took the sleeve info to Surgeon who boo hooed it. 
He now does the infomercial for the sleeve.  Also the band board is
gloomy and very, very slow these days.  The sleeve board is hopping
these days with great results that wasn't seen from the banders.

Good Luck with your WLS.

ps-My DD and Sister are both doing great.  They both lost double+ what I did in one year. 
While I was back at SW 18 months out the DD in still down all but a few pounds 2yrs out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

dcsabrina
on 8/6/12 9:40 pm - MD
 How are you doing? I find myself in a similar position. After 4 years I  am struggling with the band. Started about 2 years ago-was having obstruction that was setting off my asthma, fairly regular vomiting. Doc was afraid my esophagus was going to stretch so he took out most of the fluid. Then, with very little restriction I started a new relationship, new job, moved cross-country and lived in hotels for two months waiting on our rental house to be renovated. Had trouble finding a doc in the area willing to take on "someone else's" patient, so didn't get refilled for almost a year. Needless to say, I slowly gained back a lot of what I'd lost in my first two banded years. Then once I got the fill I started having problems again. It would be ok for a few weeks/months, then the over tightness and vomiting and now reflux would start. I couldn't sleep through a night without waking up choking on my own stomach acid. Filled, unfilled, flouros. Never able to lose more than a pound or two, but at least I stopped gaining!  Finally, at my last visit about a week ago the doc brings up that I probably need to have the band taken out and a revision to something else. I wa a bit shocked as he had never even hinted at this idea before, so I'm still trying to get my head around it. He is saying either sleeve or bypass and I'm trying to determine which is best for me. I am worried that the sleeve, being purely restrictive, will not be much different than the band, but on the other hand, worry about the higher levels of complications with the bypass. And is there enough long-term data on the sleeve? I don't want to repeat the error of choosing something that is lower risk now but doesn't have enough long-term data for larger populations. On the third hand it seems like all WLS has potential of regain -it always comes back to compliance.
gorditabonita
on 8/7/12 10:57 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
You are good to be caution.....Personally, I need some sort of tool. I don't regret my band but I hope the sleeve works out better. I lost a good deal of weight and have kept of most of it. My issue is that I don't want to have to keep coming back in for a slipped band. It's scary - it got to the point where I could not eat anything solid. Also, there were several instances in which it has been difficult to breath. That can't be good!

Tomorrow is my big day - band removal. I will keep everyone posted.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

dcsabrina
on 8/7/12 11:31 am - MD
Very best wishes for tomorrow and I'll look forward to a status report!
LilSleeved
on 8/15/12 4:34 am, edited 8/14/12 9:37 pm
How was your surgery? I will be revising on the 24th of September. I am getting really nervous! I see you are being Sleeved in November.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

gorditabonita
on 8/15/12 7:08 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
The surgery went ok. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital due to the fact that I had additional swelling that the dr wanted  to monitor. The problem I am having now is with pain. My back is killing me and I am so frustrated. I can't sleep at night due to the pain and I don't want to be on pain meds all of the time either. I am afraid of getting addicted to those things.

Last night, my hunger returned. That was an eye-opener. I have not been truly hungry in almost 5 years. It is going to be a long wait until my sleeve, for sure.

Are you revising all in one procedure or do you have to heal before you get your sleeve. Mr dr likes to wait in between. Sometimes, I wish he did it all at once, though. It seems easier to adjust. However, he thinks that there are less complications when you wait. We will see....

Good luck next month! If you are up to it, feel free to join a growing group of us here on OH. The group name is Band2Sleeve and we would love to have you.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

pineview01
on 9/8/12 7:48 pm - Davison, MI
I got my band out 9/4 and was sent home the same day.  I really
had bad swelling.  Gained 11 pounds in  hours, fluid.  I wasn't able
to pee for ~36 hours and they weight went up by the hour.  I was at
home so just delt.  Finally was able to pee and started losing water
weight-fast!   Lost 12 pounds in 24 hours and 18 in 36 hours.  So
lost three gallons of water in 36 hours.

I got shoulder pain on day three and it only lasted 24 hours this time. 
Getting the band out wasn't easy but it was a lot easier for me than
getting it. 

I did pain pills day 1 and 2 and before bed day 3 and 4.  Will see how tomorrow goes with this new hungery and weight.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active