Looking for LapBand to Sleeve Success Stories

gorditabonita
on 7/30/12 2:41 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
Just found out today that I have to get my band removed. My dr suggests the sleeve and I am just starting my research. I am looking to make some friends who are or have been in the same situation.

Thanks!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

MsBatt
on 7/30/12 7:11 am
Have you posted this on the VSG board? There are a bunch of them over there!
pineview01
on 7/30/12 9:51 am, edited 7/31/12 2:33 am - Davison, MI
I have to get my band out also!  My surgeon won't do the revision at the same time.  My insurance started a once in lifetime WLS policy.  I want the sleeve but may not be able to get it with out doing self pay.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 7/30/12 11:36 am - Vancouver, WA
All I can say is I would love to revise to the sleeve myself and that everyone I know (and there are alot) who have gone to the sleeve have been very happy with it. I don't recall any negative posts. They all basically say the sleeve works the way we were told the band would but didn't for many of us. I think you'll be very happy with it.
BabyGirl2730
on 7/31/12 1:09 pm
I'm actually interested in any feed back as well. I was banded in July 2010 and have had TONS and I mean TONS of issues with it. I've started the process for a revision and have been leaning towards the sleeve, I would be grateful for any info.  
mary101678
on 8/2/12 10:10 pm, edited 8/2/12 10:10 pm - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
I had my revision on July 10, 2012. I was banded on Dec 7, 2010 and only lost about 24 lbs with it. My surgeon was reluctant to continue to fill the band because of other patients with issues. He statd that he removes more bands than he puts in.
I told my surgeon in Dec 2011 I wanted to revise to the sleeve and without hestitation, he agreed. Since the revision, I have lost about 15 lbs for a total of about 36 lbs.
The recovery is longer than with the band, but so far, I have found it completely worth it.
Hope it all works out for you...
Mary

gorditabonita
on 8/2/12 11:50 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
Hi Mary - thank you for sharing your success story. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Can't wait to watch you melt away! :)

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

mary101678
on 8/3/12 6:00 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Hello again:
I recommend that you watch the many YouTube videos regarding the VSG. People tell their stories and there are quite a few who have revised from the band to the sleeve.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vsg&oq=vsg&gs_l= youtube.3..0l10.2230.2834.0.3151.3.3.0.0.0.0.157.458.0j3.3.0 ...0.0...1ac.Zm_lvYTA1FE

Some things to watch for:
1. Recovery time is longer. Creating a sleeve is major surgery. It takes longer to heal and the hospital stay is also a bit longer.
2. Your taste buds will change. You will have to figure out what foods you can tolerate and will actually want to eat.
3. You must eat and drink very slowly. You may lose the food either way if you go too fast.
4. There is dumping syndrome with the sleeve, but it is effected by fat not sugar. Too much fat will send the food right out again, with cramping and lots of gas as a warning.
5. It's not that easy to get in the minimum amount of protein and water every day. You will be eating or drinking small quantities all day long.
6. Don't go back to work too soon. You need the time to get strong again, mentally and physically.

All the best,

Mary

pineview01
on 8/3/12 3:35 pm - Davison, MI
Mary very good "real" post.  I have seen my DD and Sister go thru it and you are right on.

That said, I still would do anything to get it after they get this band out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Zee Starrlite
on 8/6/12 2:42 am
Hi Mary!

If you don't mind, I have to add or disagree with you on the following:

Some things to watch for:
1. Recovery time is longer. Creating a sleeve is major surgery. It takes longer to heal and the hospital stay is also a bit longer. I'd say it was equal healing compared to my Band
2. Your taste buds will change. You will have to figure out what foods you can tolerate and will actually want to eat.  FALSE for me and I can eat anything
3. You must eat and drink very slowly. You may lose the food either way if you go too fast. FALSE for me - I have never lost any food either way
4. There is dumping syndrome with the sleeve, but it is effected by fat not sugar. Too much fat will send the food right out again, with cramping and lots of gas as a warning.  Very FALSE for me
5. It's not that easy to get in the minimum amount of protein and water every day. You will be eating or drinking small quantities all day long. FALSE, FALSE, FALSE for me - no problems getting in as much food/nutriton as I need to and I can drink like a fish - this includes guzzling
6. Don't go back to work too soon. You need the time to get strong again, mentally and physically.  Back to work in 4 days PLUS Thanks be to God, I was able to take the NYC subway home alone

It is funny how we all have such a different experience.

Good luck on your journey!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active