x post : What complication did you have?

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 12:02 am - WA
I am planning to travel 8 hours for the surgery but another poster pointed out "what if there are complications?". OMG I didn't think of that. So my question is for those of you that have had complications ,

what were they?
And what surgery did you have?
Did you use your PCP or surgeon?
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/12 12:00 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I'm traveling about 170 miles and I have a hotel room set up for a week following surgery (although I expect to be the hospital 2 or 3 days). 

I'm fortunate that my surgeon's primary office is less than 30 miles from where I live so, if there are complications, I go to him.

My revision is from Lap Band to sleeve.

If you are flying, I'd either buy a ticket that allows for schedule changes or wait to purchase it until a day or two before you are to return.  Whether you are flying or driving, I'd suggest that you have a hotel room booked.  If you can, I'd recommend you bring a travel companion.  The reason I'm staying in a hotel room as long as I can is I don't have a travel companion coming with me.  Otherwise, I'd be back home four or five hours after I got discharged from the hospital.

Before you have your surgery, be sure to consult with your PCP to ensure they are willing to take on your aftercare.  If they aren't, you need to make appropriate arrangements for a qualified medical profession to agree to take on the aftercare.  If you don't and you have complications after you return home, you will need to haul yourself to the nearest ER in a hospital which performs bariatric surgeries to include the one to which you are revising and, possibly, the one from which you revised.

FWIW, most surgeries (not just bariatric) have a global care period during which the surgeon is to take care of any complications or services associated with that surgery.  However, due to the distance you are travelling, the logistics associated with that may be trying.

Best wishes with your surgery.  May there be no complications.
Ruth S.
on 7/31/12 1:41 pm - Orlando, FL
 I traveled 1.5 hr away to have my (virgin) RNY surgery in 2004, with no complications..didn't even use painkillers and had a 1yr free followup with the dr.  On 5/21/12 I had revision surgery with a local dr. I was released 3 days later and the next day I went to work where I passed out. Was hospitalized cause they said I had an obstruction. They did some testing and said it was cleared. About a week half later..I was vomiting again and threw up bile and went to the ER and had to be transported to where my surgeon practices and that ended up a surgery due to another bowel obstruction (more serious). After that I had to go back due to not being able to go to the bathroom for 5 days..5 day hospital stay..so it was 20 days of hospital stays (4 visits).....and now pretty much on the mend.  My revision was distal RNY to more distal - which is/was really just moving Y juncion down..obviously there was alot of adhesions.  No, I didn't use the primary  and you REALLY can't not too early out..they do not and can not understand what you go through.  The thing is CAN you have complications - yes...WILL you have complications....only God knows...you may be okay..who can really tell but God. But it's good to know he's kinda close cause in a worst case scenario they may have to transfer you to where he is at.  M a y b e.......
Ruth S.
scarlettbegonias
on 7/31/12 4:08 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 I'm only 30 minutes from home but I woke up without being sleeved and with 1/3 of my stomach having been removed due to a "error" during surgery.

I was supposed to have 2 day stay I'm now on day seven and only had the drain and the nasal gastric aspirator removed yesterday.

I went in for keyhole and woke up with key hole and open incisions, they need me after the "error" to try to salvage my stomach.

My surgeon is the head surgeon at the hospital I'm in he's not inexperienced by any means.

This had nothing to do with me I had stuck to preop perfectly.

I was originally banded but had that removed with this same surgeon 3 months ago( the wait was to minimize the chance of complications) the removal was perfect and I had healed fast and well.

Im not sure if that helps with your question but that's my complication.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 5:31 am - Palmer, AK

What do you currently have, and what kind of revission are you revising to?

I developed a leak 3 weeks later, after I had returned back home to Alaska from having surgery in California.  I had an RNY to DS revision.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/12 12:17 pm - WA
so did you return to california for your leak?
smileyjamie72
on 8/2/12 7:08 pm - Palmer, AK

Yes, I flew back to California.  It is all in my profile.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active