Hmmm..not sure what to think

Tonya M.
on 7/26/12 3:54 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Ok, so not sure if I will get any responses here or not..but here goes anyway.  I met with this 2nd surgeon on Monday to discuss a possible revision.  Basically my story is this: had RYN back in July 08.  Did have complication per my surgeon told me post op and operation took 4 1/2 hours but she said all ended fine.  I started at 220 pre-op and got down to 170-180 mark at my lowest.  That lowest was achieved 7 months post-op.  And YES, I followed all rules and complied with the program..getting in my protein and being a gym junky (really toning up my body).  Never understood why I didn't get any lower thought.  Anyway, I maintained that weight for about a 1 1/2, then after that, my weight has been climbing ever since.  I noticed within the last year or so, Ive been able to eat larger amounts of food.  I am still big on protein as I love fish, lean meats, fat free re-fried beans, fat free cottage cheese, eggs whites..etc..and still exercise 4-5 days a week walking.  I just don't get it.  Had a EGD done with 1st surgeon (not my original surgeon)..found my pouch & stoma dilated.  Had a consultation with this 2nd surgeon and when operative report was received by both 1st surgeon & 2nd surgeon, the operative report stated in the "description of the procedure" that I was a man and I had a lap-band??  Wth?? I called the hospital and got a call back from Med Recs Dept and the lady said she didn't know what happened but that they didn't know if it could be redone b/c Dr. LaMaster's (original surgeon) would have to go back and re-dictate the whole operative report and didn't know if she could do that b/c it was a surgery that happened 4 years ago..but she said they could send all the records from that surgery like the physician's report and this should have any information regarding any complications and/or why the surgery took an extra hour & a half to complete.  Anyway, this surgeon wants to do an upper GI to check out the limb created when the original was done.  My question is what can I expect from this upper GI?  whats the procedure like?  Any other information anyone wants to share is appreciated as well..also I've had pretty irritating abdominal pain almost daily for the last month or so..this cannot be a good thing :-/
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 5:34 am - WA
I will describe my upper GI. put on a gown, go to the xray room, stand on an upright table (leaning against a L shaped table while standing). Take small sips of Barium, white chalky substance tastes like Malox. while tech took video (actually pictures so fast it looks like video) of the substance going down my throat into my pouch and thru the stoma and into the upper intestines. I took sip after sip while the pictures (looked like video) were taken. I got to watch and it looks really cool. Table lays down with me on it, take more pics. whole process took about 15 minutes.
Tonya M.
on 7/26/12 5:38 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Thanks Muzzled..what was the purpose of getting yours done though?  I mean was it just to see if the pouch & stoma were stretched?  I'm just confused why this surgeon is ordering an Upper GI when I already had an EGD done.  I would have thought any concerns or questions regarding that part of my anatomy could have been answered by the EGD report...I dont know, kind of confused on this.  
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 5:48 am, edited 7/26/12 5:48 am - WA
Mine was to see if my pouch had stretched but in your case maybe he is needing a visual record of what your limb looks like. Maybe to see if you had a distal or Proximal I don;t know though. Just thought I would describe the process. I know you saw one surgeon who wanted another 6 months from you, is this surgeon a different try at it?
Tonya M.
on 7/26/12 6:13 am, edited 7/26/12 6:16 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Thats correct.  The first surgeon I saw said that because of my insurance, they would require another 6 month supervised diet regardless if my pouch/stoma are stretched.  This 2nd surgeon didn't feel that was the case at all.  His only problem is, he would feel more comfortable doing a revision if he found something wrong with my limb or something I guess versus just doing a revision because.  He didn't say it was totally out of the question, but he did tell me he just felt more comfortable doing that because the complication rate is so much higher with revisions and the weight loss is not always as good as the first time around.  He was a very nice doctor though and was honest about what kind of revisions he has done and hasn't done.  So we'll see what happens.  Obviously I hope they find something so a revision can be done.  Another suggestion one of his nurses said was starting back on all this vitamins, get in all protein first, add in the weight loss pill Phentermine and then obviously doing exercise.  She said doing all these in combination has worked well for other patients trying to get gained weight back off.  So after we find out the results of this GI..depending..that may be the way to go (the nurse's way)..which in all honesty..even though its not what I want, I am willing to do that bc the bottom line is I WANT AND NEED THE WEIGHT OFF!! *lol*  
hotpeppers2000
on 7/27/12 9:33 am - Engadine, MI
 Keep us posted. You sure have had a time of this. Praying all will finally work out soon.~Angie Davis   ( I just rejoined OH after 8 yrs and nned to get my status updated.)
pineview01
on 7/26/12 12:26 pm - Davison, MI
I thought Phentermine was one of the "Phens" that where taken of the market?  I was asked on a form today if I had taken it and answered no.  I guess I don't know what it is than.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

hotpeppers2000
on 7/27/12 9:37 am - Engadine, MI
 Totaly diff med.  just got put on this. It is very temporary but after 1st week Ive had more energy and less appettite. It is prescribed under supervision for obese. Hope this info helps~ Angie Davis
pineview01
on 7/27/12 3:35 pm - Davison, MI
Thanks for the info!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 6:03 am - Palmer, AK

Phen-Fen was Pondamin and Phentermine.

Pondamin was completely pulled off the market.

Phentermine is still prescribed.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active