Band removal

Teresa J.
on 7/26/12 12:04 am - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I am scheduled to have my band removed on Monday 7/30 and had a question about recovery.

I remember when I got the band 5 years ago tomorrow that it took about 3 days for me to really start to feel better.  Those that have had their band removed would you say that the recovery time was shorter, same or longer after your band removal?

Teresa

Hislady
on 7/26/12 6:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Well can't speak from my own experience but from what I've read it seems to be about the same for recovery. Altho lots of folks complain about the port site being more painful, for longer. Good luck with your removal!
Mamazoune
on 7/26/12 9:48 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hi there,

I had my band removed in an mergency surgery in Feb. 2011.  I would say that the recovery is about the same with the exception that I was kept 3 nights post op as opposed to getting released the day of with the band surgery.  I was eating within a week with no issues or complications.  I also had a drain for a couple of weeks which was very painful to have removed.  My left side incision was very painful.

Here I am a year and a half later with a RNY booked for August 1st.  I gained all my weight back and then some:(  I would never recomend a gastric band to anyone given my experience.  I only wish I knew then what I know now.

Good luck with your surgery on Monday.  Take Care
Mamazoune                
pineview01
on 7/26/12 1:59 pm - Davison, MI
I just was approved by insurance in writing that I can get my band out.  Good question.
I have been told it will be just a same day surgery with less recovery than before.  That isn't what I'm hearing here is it?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jerseyjandj
on 8/3/12 3:26 pm - keyport, NJ
i had my band removed but had the sleeve done, i felt horrible !!! i was only suppose to be in hosp overnight but they kept me for 3 days!!! i felt human on day 4

ClairehillRN
on 8/18/12 1:38 pm

Did you get a revision as well or just the band removed? How did surgery go?

Hope you are well,
Claire

Teresa J.
on 8/18/12 3:32 pm - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Yes, I had my band removed and revision to the sleeve.  I am at 12 days post op and still have one more week of clear liquids.  I have lost 13 pounds since surgery date and 21 pounds since revision requested.  I have really struggled with the protein shakes.  I used to drink them a lot pre-op and had no problem but now they taste gross.  I am surprised at how I am just not hungry.  The mind hunger is still there and I can't wait to move to mushies.  I feel better every day but still have a couple of sore spots.  I'm glad I did it and look forward to being goal soon.

Teresa

Most Active