Confused on which get best results band over bypass or endoscopic gastro jejunostomy

brownsugargirl
on 7/25/12 1:13 am - Ambridge, PA
 I  keep getting conflicting answers for revision .. One says band over   bypass lose more the next says no endoscopic gastro jejunostomy.  Lost ? Michelle
Mamazoune
on 7/26/12 9:56 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hi there,

I had my band removed in Feb. 2011 and would NEVER recommend it to anyone.  It was great at first, I lost 80 lbs but the complications were immense and very painful.  The surgery cost me 20 thousand dollars not to mention the adustments etc....Anyways I gained all my weight back and had started to gain weight again prior to the removal.  Read the statistics regarding the band, it complications, failure rates etc...it is really stunning.

I am having a RNY on August 1st.  Why?  Because it is considered the gold standard in WLS.  I am supported by a team of professionals and it is covered by OHIP.   I only wish I knew then what I know now.

Good luck with your decision
Mamazoune                
heathercross
on 7/26/12 10:18 am - New York, NY
 Hi, if she is considering a BOB she already had the RNY and it FAILED!  A BOB is a Band-over-Bypass its for people whose RNY's FAILED.  There pouch stretched or stoma enlarged.  Don't kid yourself, I know dozens of RNYs who've gained every lb back.  Nothing is full proof.  Just as you've had band problems, there are millions who have not.

brownsugargirl
on 8/13/12 6:59 pm - Ambridge, PA
so true,,,
gorditabonita
on 8/1/12 11:44 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
Hope your RNY went well today! Keep us posted. :)

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Ladytazz
on 7/26/12 4:40 pm
What the hell is a endoscopic gastro jejunostomy?  I tried to Google it and it looks like a form of tube feeding?  If you don't know and can't describe it complete with drawings then for God's sake do not get it.  Conversely, do not get a band over bypass.  That is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic.  If you already failed with the RNY then your chances of success with a RNY and a band aren't a lot better.  Your best chance would be a DS but you need to find a surgeon who is very experienced in doing these difficult revisions and you need to thoroughly understand the ramifications of the malabsorption that the DS brings.  Got to dsfacts.com and read everything you can about the DS and see if that is something you can commit to living with.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/27/12 6:32 am
Conversely, do not get a band over bypass. "That is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic"

I love this, the titanic part

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

heathercross
on 7/29/12 12:46 pm - New York, NY
Zee, I know you hated your band, but, you haven't had an RNY or a BOB.  Remember it does work for many of us.  
Zee Starrlite
on 7/30/12 1:56 am

You got that wrong Heather - when my band worked, I loved it.  I don't regret my experience and I am happy that you are finding success with your band!  My best guy friend has a band - we were on the journey together.  I got his back, am his biggest cheerleader and want nothing to ever happen with his band.

I was saying that  switching seats on the titanic is hilarious just in general - that's ******g funny Heather you gotta admit.

I don't want to see anyone fail - are you kidding!  Obesity is an ass kicker.  We are doing all we can to beat it.

You know I was thinking about you and where you walk or exercise.  Maybe we could get together.  I'm doing a 30 day at NYSC on 73 & CPW and in Bklyn, then a 30 day at Crunch (Groupon is great).  I walk Central Park and Prospect Park a lot too.

All Best Honey.  I'm on your side ya know!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

heathercross
on 8/1/12 11:15 am - New York, NY
 Hey, I think I got you confused with someone else.  My apologies. I know you had a revision from the band but I think I confused you with another Roslin patient.

I jst cancelled my NYSC membership bc Im walking the bridge everyday home from Astoria.  Where in the city do you live?  work? I live on 84/3 and I work in Astoria.  

email me offline.

Heather
[email protected]
Most Active