Revision Update: this will be a cross post

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/12 10:26 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I am revising from Lap Band to the sleeve.

For various and sundry reasons, I am having to use a hospital that is about 175 miles from my home.

I have a few questions for you (whether you had a revision or got the sleeve in the first place):

First, how longwere you in the hospital following surgery?

Was your surgery open or was it lap?

How many days before you felt well enough to drive any distance?

I am trying to determine how many days, if any, I should plan to stay in a hotel near the hospital before going home.  I appreciate your feedback.

Lisa
sfnativewm
on 7/19/12 11:58 pm
Congrats to you!!  I can't wait to hear about your journey.  Also I hope someone answers your questions!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Mom4Jazz
on 7/20/12 12:50 am
I had my surgery on Monday morning and left the hospital Wednesday afternoon. I've heard of folks having it outpatient, which just sounds scaryto me, but what do I know.

My surgery was lap. I haven't heard anyone talk about an open sleeve. We have a lot of revisions on the sleeve board and I think they were all lap.

I wasn't supposed to drive for a week, I think because of the pain medications and not wanting us to sit for a long time (clots). I felt good enough that I could have driven myself home from the hospital. If someone can drive you home, I'd suggest you leave the day after you're released. If you need to drive yourself, you might give it a week after surgery.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Zee Starrlite
on 7/20/12 5:43 am, edited 7/20/12 5:45 am
Lisa, I am not sure - I believe I just stayed overnight.  Everyone heals so differently.  Because I didn't want to tell anyone, I did everything on my own.  I took the NYC subway home which requires lots of energy to go up and down the stairs.  I was okay - really.  I kinda think I felt worse when I had my band removed probably because I felt so defeated and depressed..

Anyways, it was 5 days before I went back to work (office).  Now I felt a bit tired and out of sorts for some time.  And there are all the dietary changes and just making sure you get every thing in - Lovenox shots, PPI, vitamins, WATER **** pops,and liquids you can get down - it is sipping all day, just sipping continuously)  Again everyone's recovery is so different.  When I got banded, I was up and about too though I did feel a little weak.

No long drives unless you can lay in the back while being driven.

I had laproscopic VSG 6 months after Band removal.  I could have had it at the same time but changed my mind on the OR table.  I was all prepped to have a vertical sleeve plication.  After I signed the waivers for this procedure I freaked out last minute.  My doc said he had no idea how my stomach would look with time - maybe like a bunch of grapes he said .  I couldn't do it.

Good luck Lisa.  You will be just fine.  Try to get someone to support you through the process -  I was dumb.  I couldn't  overcome myself enough.  Make sure you get everything you'll need post-op if you are staying in a hotel.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

gorditabonita
on 8/1/12 11:57 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
"a bunch of grapes"....what's up with that? Why? What would cause that?

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Allen Y.
on 7/23/12 9:12 pm - Garland, TX
 With my original WLS I had an open proceedure and then after a week in the hospital I flew home. I let the airline know in advance I would be "Special needs" and over all the travel was no big deal.

I don't think I could have drivin though.

Regards
Allen

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/12 11:45 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Thank you, everyone!

I've decided to set up a hotel room to crash for about a week and then drive home.  If I need to extend the hotel room, I will.
Ashley A.
on 7/24/12 5:46 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Looks like you already got the answers you were looking for..
Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Most Active