What question to ask? Please help!

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 6:26 am, edited 7/17/12 12:01 am - Prosper, TX
OK, I am going to regroup here and hopefully ask the right questions.
I have been approved for a RNY revision.  Not sure what kind to go with and want to explore all options.  I need to have something done.
i have discussed this with my surgeon, and two other internal med Dr's., but have not come to any kind of conclusion.  I am almost at wits end.

So with that said what kinds are there?  Who has had the most success? I realize that there are only certain surgeons that are qualified or "vetted" for certain kinds of revisions, but with that said I still want some or need some information.  There are very experienced and wise people that post to this board.  I would very must appreciate there response good or bad.  Even if they just direct me to a site where I can read for myself.  I am not looking for anyone opinion to say, she said he said I just need some honest to goodness (did I say that) answers.
I hope this clarifies.  Thanks bunches.

Melissa

Melissa
Tonya M.
on 7/16/12 6:37 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Hey Melissa,

I dont have any experience with a revision, well not yet anyways (hoping so in the future though!) but I just wanted to say congratulations on your approval and once you do get your revision I wish you much success!!!  

Tonya

clpeltz
on 7/16/12 11:19 am
Barker is NOT a vetted RNY-DS surgeon.  You need to have a very experienced surgeon for this surgery and there are only a handful in the US.  Rabkin and Keshishian in California, Buchwald in MN and Roslin in New York are the best.  There are none in Texas.  Be very careful.  This is a very complicated procedure and should only be done open and by the very best surgeon. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 12:00 pm - Prosper, TX
 Thanks for your response.  But what qualifications do you have to make this statement?  
Are you a qualified expert in this field?   Is this because of what you have read on this forum?
Is this because Buchannan(sp) was you physican.  Have you had this surgery performed?
I realize this is a lot of questions but you do not give any further information to back up your statement.

clpeltz
on 7/17/12 12:34 am
On July 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, Melissa V. wrote:
 Thanks for your response.  But what qualifications do you have to make this statement?  
Are you a qualified expert in this field?   Is this because of what you have read on this forum?
Is this because Buchannan(sp) was you physican.  Have you had this surgery performed?
I realize this is a lot of questions but you do not give any further information to back up your statement.

Ok

Like I said, Barker is NOT a RNY-DS revision surgeon.  Like another poster stated, most of his few Rny-DS revision patients have lived to regret it.

I had a RNY-DS revision in April of 2011.  I had lots of problems with my RNY and regained quite a bit.  Getting the revision was the best thing I have ever done.  I did a lot of research and asked the very wise vets here for their thoughts.  It became apparent very quickly that a revision of this kind was very complicated but can be done....by the RIGHT surgeon.  I was very, very lucky to have one of the best in my backyard.  Most RNY-DS revisions need to travel for their surgeon.  If you read back on this forum, you'll find other posts about this very revision and the limited list of surgeons that you should be choosing from.  To go with anyone else is a crap shot and you are risking your life, period.

When I was going through all my problems with the RNY and started considering a revision, I knew that the DS was the only thing I wanted.  The RNY already failed me, revising to the same surgery would just end in another failure and more problems in my opinion.  There are also some who have gotten a band over their bypass with limited success.  It is difficult and frustrating when you take this huge step to have surgery and then the results are not what you had hoped.  I cursed myself on many occasions for not doing my due diligence before my initial surgery.  I didn't know anything about the DS when I had my RNY and that was no ones fault but my own for not really researching. I would suggest spending time on dsfacts.com to get all the info you need on the DS.  Post op life with the DS can be overwhelming for some and you need to be aware of what you are signing up for.  Lots of supplements for life.  Labs every 3 months the first year and every 6 months thereafter for life.  High protein, high fat, low carb eating, for life.  

Getting a revision is a big decision and there are a lot of things you need to decide you can or cannot do.  Can you travel?  Can you self pay?  Do you have a strong support system? 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Kim G.
on 7/17/12 12:17 am - Plano, TX
Hi Melissa... I will try to give you facts not opinions on how my experience was with Dr. Barker from a RNY to DS revision. First of all, like the previous poster said, Dr. Barker hasn't done many DS's and he hasn't done many RNY to DS revisions. Those are the most complicated. Each patient of his that I've come across that had a RNY to DS revision like myself with him have face major complications.

Aside from my whole scare and almost dying in the hospital which was not solely Barker's fault, I did develop a stricture that was very very resistant to dilations and attempts to stretch it out so that I could get food and liquids down. I ended up having to get a feeding tube placed not one but three times so I could get nourishment. At one point, I was only getting in the prescribed canned formula junk through the feeding tube and my body with all it was going through was in shock and starvation mode so I wasn't losing weight... At a checkup, Dr. Barker yelled at me and said I must be eating and drinking excessive amounts of calories to not be losing...nope...I was only taking in what he prescribed, what I needed to survive.

I also tried to have a discussion with Dr. Barker about post-op nutritional needs for a DS'er and he argued with me that the supplementation and food needs were not any different from RNY... If I believed that I'd be in a boat load of trouble.

I've also been experiencing recurring bouts of nausea since my surgery in November even being hospitalized 3 times in the last 6 weeks for severe dehydration. Dr. Barker and his staff can't seem to figure out how to help me with this other than suggesting we reverse my surgery.

There are so many more issues I've had with this office and aftercare but my biggest one would be.... after my surgery when I returned to work, I was missing days here and there for the feeding tube, or for egd's with dilation etc... I got put on a write up at work because Dr. Barker has a policy in his office where they refuse to fill out intermittent FMLA paperwork for patients. They only will sign the papers for the initial surgery but nothing to cover you for follow up care.

This is my own opinion right here, but choosing Dr. Barker to do my revision to DS was the worst decision I've ever made in my life and has been an uphill battle the whole way. I have other friends with similar experiences if you'd like to speak with them.

Please, I beg you consider using Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton. He is a very skilled and vetted DS surgeon and you won't regret it.

We have a group on facebook for DFW area patients with the DS if you'd like us to add you to it, and you can get a lot more info there not only about the surgery but about life afterwards and Dr. Stewart.

Hugs! I hope you make the right decision! My email is [email protected] And if you'd like to find me on facebook I believe I'm listed as Kimberly M. Grimes

Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 12:35 am - Prosper, TX
Kim,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt honesty.  Dr. Barker did my RNY and I did not have any problems.  Have not had any problems with the exception of a lot of weight gain.
I am sorry that you had so many.  I appreciate you telling me everything as this is what I was looking for.  I want the good with the bad.  I understand that he is not a vetted DS surgeon, but I have not made up my mind that, that is the kind of surgery I will go with.  I have never had any bad experiences with his office at all.  I know a lot of people who have but I never have and I love, love Dr. Thompson that is in his office.
Please add me to the facebook group. 

After all this, are you doing better?  ARe you seeing Dr. STewart now?  Just curious.  I do hope you are with such a large family.  Stay blessed.

Melissa
RockChick
on 7/18/12 10:40 am - Los Angeles , CA
Hi, I'm Sharyl, and I'd like to share my experience, I revised from an RNY to a DS in December 2011.

The RNY revision is the most complicated surgery of them all and there is a lot to consider before moving forward. There is a very short list of vetted surgeons who perform the RNY to DS revision.

Dr. Rabkin, northern California

Dr. Keshishian, southern California

Dr. Elariny, Virginia

Dr. Roslin, New York

Dr. Buchwald, Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, New Jersey

Dr. Stewart, Texas

Dr. Simper, Utah

Personally, in terms of a revision, I wouldn't recommend anything else but revising an RNY to a DS; I strongly believe the DS is the far more efficient sleeve/malabsorption combo, as Dr. Roslin describes in his excellent keynote here.

I had a total of three consults/opinions to further educate myself, in addition to finding this group, DSfacts.com, reading, researching. I personally ruled out the band over bypass or revising the RNY to a distal (I had a proximal).

I also want to note that I turned to a revision after exhausting every channel imaginable - I could not get/stay below 200 lbs no matter what I did, and I was very disciplined about diet, eating, and regular exercise. It was brutal and I realized that I was in the same yo-yo life I was before surgery.

How much we can eat is not an exclusive determining factor as to whether or not the surgery is functioning correctly, in any of the surgeries, generally, that ability does increase (there are exceptions, you will read people here with very 'tight' DS sleeves). And while we are not meant to diet forever, never have favorite things (I love cheeseburgers, pizza), using the choices you mention as a measurment barometer, probably not such a good idea ;) It's easy anyway to consume far more volume of any fast food because the grades of meat are so much lower, the deli meat processed, so you're not getting the full nutrient benefit as you would eating real hamburger or turkey breast, ham, roast beef etc on a sandwich.

Here is a link to my 6 month update (which was June), and it has links to my early post-op updates too:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/i....73&page=1#59855

Other screennames of revisions you can research posts: smileyjamie, msvee, chicarita, cathy811, mlleelise, peggy, mscello, and there are other veterans too. I have been fortunate to have a very smooth experience, but many others are having complications in their healing process (I did with my RNY).

Dr. Roslin's excellent keynote on Revisions: Does the procedure fail the patient or does the patient fail the procedure is super informative:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/i....04&page=2#57006

Revision to DS 12/15/2011/Dr. Keshishian, Verdugo Hills

RNY 5/11/2002 Dr. Muryama, Northwestern 

***RNY complication surgery 5/2011, Hernia repairs 6/2003, 8/2013

SW 240 CW 158-163 Goal and maintaining 

Most Active