low BMI

anitawiaz
on 7/15/12 4:40 am
 Hello everyone
I have had my Lap band for 8yrs I had a leak earlier this year. It was discovered after I had my gallbladder removed. Had it fixed something is still wrong I can't keep much down I have loose bowel movements. Everytime I have the band checked out I have less fill then before. My other problem is my BMI is 24 do you think I will have a problem getting approved for a revision.
thanks for your help Anita
Hislady
on 7/15/12 6:32 am - Vancouver, WA
The only way to find out is contact your insurance some cover no matter what the BMI others make you have a much higher BMI like an original surgery. Only they can tell you what their policy is.
Sounds like you still have a leak somewhere in the band system. If you can't keep things down maybe you are too tight, the bowel issue could be from eating foods that aren't being digested properly because you don't have a gall bladder anymore. It helps with digestion and when it's gone sometimes things don't go down well.
anitawiaz
on 7/15/12 6:43 am
I don't think I'm to tight this is the amount of fill I've always had and never had a problem. Thanks for the advise. I will be going to a MTF I will keep my fingers crossed.
Ruth S.
on 7/16/12 2:11 pm - Orlando, FL
 Since you asked the question...I can (guess to say)...YES ur BMI being that low they may not approve - also with that do you have any medical issues...because they maybe able to approve IF you have medical issues and not only based on BMI. Remember any gastric surgery approvals are based on comorbidities and high BMI in which the person is listed a OBESE, or Morbidly Obese. With a 24 BMI..you're normal, and you're weight normal. Are you looking to be skeletal? I believe 24 is one of the 2nd lowest number. Smh...IDK....
Ruth S.
anitawiaz
on 7/16/12 2:42 pm
No i am not looking to be skeletal. Like i stated i have had my band for 8 yrs. and i try to take care of my self and my band i watch what i eat and i work out. I know that my BMI is normal my issue is i have pain in my chest and throat i wake up and my mouth is full of saliva (which i did'nt say in my first post). And i can't keep  much food down. I know my band and something is'nt right.
thanks you for your feed back
Anita
Ruth S.
on 7/23/12 11:56 am - Orlando, FL
 Yes, u have to take care of yourself because only you know your pain level..and the drs can form an opinion but it's ultimately you who is suffering. By the sound of it..the band you have may have corroded or as you stated has a leak and maybe still so..I would inquire with the dr to see they can change the band to something smaller or a bit bigger. Would the costs be different if you change the band? Keep complaining to the drs about the pain - it doesn't sound like "fun"...
Ruth S.
TamaraL
on 7/18/12 12:50 pm
i will be honest, getting a revision with a low BMI is diffiicult but if there is something wrong with the band then the insurance MAY cover it. 

If there is something wrong with the band i would request the revision to be done in 1 procedure because if you have the band taken out then there is no way that the insurance would pay for a new WLS with that low of a BMI.

First thing first.  Find out what your insurance covers?? does your insurance have a 1 WLS per lifetime??.  will it cover revisions and what are the requirements.  I was able to find mine online.

Go to the dr before something real serious happens.  If the band is slipped then sometimes that is a easy fix.  If it has eroded then there are some very serious problems going on.

You need to know this before you start worrying about anything else.

I revised from lap band to RNY with a BMI of 35 but i still had co morbidities and major problems with the band. i stressed out so bad when we submitted to insurance.

Tamara

anitawiaz
on 7/18/12 1:25 pm
 I know it will be an up hill battle. One thing I have going for me I was a self pay for the band. The hospital called today I have an appt for Aug 7th so we will see the out come. I am very worried the damaged this band my have done. The hospital is an MTF and we may not have to go deal with Tricare. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I used to say I love my band because I did so well I'm not saying that now. Thank for the advice.

Anita
Most Active