Band Removed RNY Done

JennLyric
on 7/15/12 2:31 pm
We're all really in the same boat here.

I had ALL of those concerns.  I still do!  The sleeve was the surgery of choice for me.  I had to revisit that choice since my insurance only covered the RNY.  But, when I did revisit that choice I realized that the bypass was the better choice for ME and for all the reasons that you mentioned.  I weighed more before this surgery than before the banding (it was great for about 2 years then nothing).  The restrictive surgery did not work for me.  I'm a sugar/carb person, so the sleeve would probably not help me to address that issue.  It was extremely frightening for me to face the possibility of being without my drug of choice FOREVER.  The truth is (for me) that even with the bypass I'll be able to eat small amounts of most things.  I just need that extra "umph" I guess.  I let go of the sleeve and went with this.  I'm just starting on pureed foods and so far so good.  I'm following the rules, but with the knowledge that the game changes with time.  I'll be able to eat more later and I'll be able to tolerate different foods later.  The band gave me that understanding.  I believe that I'll be fine.  If something were to happen to me (a RNY complication-related thing), I would go down trying.  I was going to die from weight-related complications eventually anyway.  This gave me better odds.

It's such an individual choice and it's not an easy one.  I suppose we're on these boards because the other way didn't work, right?  If we look closely at the root of our food addiction I think the answer is there.  Which surgery best helps us to work in our fight?  For me it was this one.  NOT doing it scared me more, so I assume I made the right decision.

I hope this was helpful and I hope you'll both let me know how you're doing and what you ended up doing.

This is a group effort!!

Jennifer

Turtle Lynn
on 7/16/12 11:50 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Congrats on having your revision done.....it's good to hear you are doing so well.  Rest, sip, walk, repeat and you will be fine!!!! 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

NetworkGuyCj
on 7/17/12 12:30 am - DE
Jenn/Lynn/Sherry,
 Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I believe you ahve made a very good point, if your a careb\ sweets person and want to live healthy, then bypass. If your not then a sleeve may work basically. Bypass is most likely the best for me because I am and if I am trempted to eat them I will reap the results of dumping. That makes sense. I am headed under the knife AUg 15, 12 for my revision,  I will stay in contact.

Lynn, why did you not go to CHRIAS for the Bypass? Has anyone had bad experiences with CHRIAS? I was with iragu originally but switched to wynn for the revision, due to problems between iragua and I.
Diane W.
on 7/20/12 10:50 am
Revision on 08/10/12
Hey Jennifer,

I had my band removed on 6/15 and now am having RNY on 8/10.  I'm excited, nervous and happy all at the same time.  My biggest concern is all the issues with getting the right amount of vitamins as well as protein.   A lot different than the band. 

Taking one day at the time is the best course, good for you.  Can't wait until my surgery is here and I'm on my way to being healthy.

God Bless!!!

NetworkGuyCj
on 6/24/13 4:56 am - DE

Update:I am very pleased. I am about 10 months out. I have lost 125 Lbs, 12 inches on my waist, 3 shirt sizes, 4 inch loss on my neck and I now jog 4-5 miles a day. All medications are gone and I can sleep straight through the night. I have so much energy now. The best part, I am below my military weight when I was 21. Come on, that's insane. I have not had a single issue, and I just follow what the dr and nutritionist have suggested, DO NOT VARY, and don't believe what you read half the time and don't give in to temptation.

The most important aspect is to find a great practice to do this at, you must trust the surgeon and his staffs ability's, it made a huge difference. The place that did my band was horrible and I only chose it out of convenience, it was a 10 min drive. The place that did my bypass was 1.5 hour drive and I know they were the best choice and still enjoy going there, it is a completely different environment and experience.

Most Active