DS REVSION W/Dr.Michael Schwartz Minnesota questions

2ndchancez
on 7/13/12 4:25 am
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a revsion with Dr.Schwartz, If so can you tell me about your experance with him, was it open or laproscopic?  Was he open to the idea of a DS or pushy about a RNY?  any other info you feel would be helpful I will also take.

Thanks everyone
clpeltz
on 7/13/12 9:23 am
What are you revising from?  Your best bet is going to be to go to the U of M.  They are the BEST DS surgeons in the state.  If you are a revision from a previous RNY.....Buchwald is the ONLY surgeon to go to in MN.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

2ndchancez
on 7/13/12 11:42 am
I had the vertical banding (VBG) back in 2000 ish.  So I want to revise it because my intial weight loss was roughly 100 lbs.  I went from 429 to roughly 330.  cant seem to move past that.  spend alot of time in pain throwing up and constant heart burn even though I take my reflux med every day. 
clpeltz
on 7/13/12 12:27 pm
I would definitely advise you to set up a consult at the U of M.  Dr. Ikrammidin ad Dr. Buchwald are the great ones!  Dr. B only does open.  Dr. I can do both ways.  I am sorry that you are struggling with discomfort from the VBG.  The DS would be a great choice. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

pineview01
on 7/15/12 10:41 am - Davison, MI
Just for my own knowledge.  If you have a sleeve isn't that the first half of a DS?  So would that be a revision or just completing a DS?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

2ndchancez
on 7/16/12 1:22 am
I do not have a sleeve, I have ther Vertical Banded gastroplasty (VBG) not VSG
pineview01
on 7/17/12 1:13 am - Davison, MI
GOT it. 
Teach to read the boards with out my reading glasses. 
Even with out them I mess up.
Sorry 'bot that.  Now I understand.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jodie_28
on 8/2/12 8:32 pm - Wyoming, MN
Dr Schwartz is doing my DS on Tuesday. He is the one that suggested the DS to me in the first place. And explained the pros and cons to both. He wasn't pushy towards one or the other. He just gave me all the information and let me make the decision. I was set on the RNY, and after he suggestion i did a little more reseach and decided to go with the DS. He was very neutral about what procedure i choose, and made sure i had all the information to make the right choose for me. I can't speak to the revesion, but i can tell you next week how it went. My both time meeting him, he was really nice and professional.
gak
on 8/4/12 12:11 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I pray he is not bait and switch. I have never heard of him doing a DS. Forgive me if I am wrong. How many has he performed ? What is his success rate ? Have you talked to any of his DS patients ? 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

gak
on 8/4/12 12:08 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have never heard of Dr Schwartz. He is not on the http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html  list either.

I would never go to a non vetted DS revision doc. Sorry if you do not want to heat that. Do your research more on docs. You can check lots of places to find out more.. there are other boards here, yahoo groups, fb group, proboards, etc.

The BEST US revision docs are Dr Keshishian, Dr Rabin and Dr Stewart. There are also several out of the country self pay DS docs.. See the DSFACTS list. You will likely have to travel for a reliable revision surgeon. I wish I would of researched more initially, then I would not of had to have a revision.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Most Active