I'm getting my band out in a week!

Jay2009
on 7/12/12 12:40 am
I went in for a consultation yesterday and the surgeon told me that she had some OR time that just became available and it can come out next week!  I didn't realize how much I wanted it out until I was told I could have it out, Now I'm beyond excited.

After I recover from surgery hopefully I can plan to have a RNY done. Hopefully since the insurance approved this procedure in a day, they'll approve the next just as quickly
ChristyTal
on 7/12/12 2:31 am
Hi Jay, just wondering if you have checked out the DS before you go for the RNY.  If not, you really should at least learn about it!

Delia Montalvo
on 7/12/12 3:45 am - San Antonio, TX
Why not wait and get it done at the same time beats going under twice. You may have to wait a little but it should be worth it.
Jay2009
on 7/12/12 4:29 am
The surgeon doesn't want to do it as one surgery, she recommends doing one surgery and healing and then doing the second.  Also, she wants me to have time to forget the habits the band forces you to develop so that I can learn the new healthier habits before starting surgery.

Also, the DS isn't covered, so I stopped looking into it.
pineview01
on 7/12/12 2:12 pm - Davison, MI
My surgeon also says it isn't a good idea to do it all in one.  He say the stomach has to heal from the damage has done.  Even if it just the capsual the body buts over the band that area would be at an increase likelyhood of leaking.  No way would I want to increase the odds of leaking.  Mine says 2 month min.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

scarlettbegonias
on 7/12/12 1:05 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
I had to wait three months after my band was removed to heal but also to work on the issues I had with food from the band- I get my sleeve in two weeks.
Are you seeing a councilor ?? I didn't realise just how affected I was by my band until I started seeing one , I see her weekly at this point and am feeling now like I can get my head around what I have to do to make the sleeve work and let go of the damage the band caused me mentally and psychically .

Good luck
pineview01
on 7/12/12 2:16 pm - Davison, MI
I see you have problems with the band down under too.  My NP told me you guys don't have the problems we do due to your different life style.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

scarlettbegonias
on 7/12/12 2:21 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Hey pineview my problems were all band nothing to do with lifestyle - my band was a nightmare from about 9 months out but I was to embarrassed to tell anyone and then when I started gaining I was too ashamed.

What a funny thing for your NP to say!!
pineview01
on 7/12/12 2:32 pm - Davison, MI
WOW!  We are just alike.  My band started at 8 months.  Than I started gaining.  When I went for the fill the doc said I needed I couldn't swallow my spit, my throat closed.  I walked out with a total unfill and appointment for a scope.  Left unbanded for two months and than ever thing went down hill.

Are you a member of the failed band group.  If so is your story over there?

scarlettbegonias
on 7/12/12 3:15 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 I am a member but haven't put my story up yet- I ended up with esophageal mismotility from the constant vomiting, all my vitamin levels had bottomed out and I looked and felt like a zombie!!
I had gained back all but about three kgs of the weight I lost  which was funny when my bloods came back with long term malnutrition written along the bottom!! How can you be suffering malnutrition at this size.
When I met with the new surgeon he wanted to see how much fluid was still in my band- no fills for over three years and that's when we found my port had flipped, in the end my band had been placed on an angle and then at some state it had slipped - there was a massive amount of scar tissue in there and I still had restriction to the point of being on fluids only until 3.5 weeks after my band was removed.

Getting the band was the worst thing I ever did - for my self and my family!!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Most Active