second revision?

samsmom1220
on 7/12/12 1:52 am - MD
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced problems similar to mine. I initially had lap-band surgery about five years ago and had horrible side effects and NO weight loss, I had it removed and had gastric bypass three years ago. I had severe nausea for about two months and my weight loss was always below expected amounts at every milestone. I had only lost like 12 lbs at my first post-op visit. In all I only lost about 50 lbs and have gained about 20 lbs back. I'm wondering what kind of chance I may have getting another revisional surgery? Ugh... I feel so defeated and ashamed....
ChristyTal
on 7/12/12 2:30 am
Check out the DS forum if you have not already.  That's probably what you need!

Delia Montalvo
on 7/12/12 3:43 am - San Antonio, TX
I had lap band surgery in 2006, did not loose too much, July 2011, I had the gastric sleeve done, lost more weight with that but I am having a lot of acid reflux, so on 7/23 I will be having the gastric bypass. My sister had a gastric bypass in the 90's then in 2001 had a revision done.
Pupcake !.
on 7/12/12 4:48 am - Stranded in, IA
 Please do not be offended but have you seen a counsellor for eating disorders?

You can't keep getting surgery after surgery to lose the weight unless you can determine  why you keep gaining it back.

If you had extreme nausea you probably ate things that helped the nausea and went doen easy like carbs and other calorie dense foods.

Don't feel defeated.  Go back to your surgeon to have him check that your bypass is working correctly.  

Track your food intake and see how many calories you are taking in.

Every surgery can be out-eaten, including the DS- just ask a DS-er- they have to follow the rules for the rest of their lives too.

Good luck- I have had regain and understand the shame and defeat.  I was also able to lose 40# by following the rules again.  I still have more to lose but keep cheating the rules.

Good luck-

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

heathercross
on 7/12/12 10:58 pm - New York, NY
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ruth S.
on 7/16/12 2:22 pm - Orlando, FL
 As I see it...the "only" way  you can get another revision is.....if you have changed jobs and or insurance companies and the surgeon is willing to do it again. On having the nauseau with the gastric...it would have been the dumping syndrome. We all get lazy and start eating foods we're not supposed to. Im not judging as I dont know what you were eating etc. - just guessing here.  I think the best to do at this point is to have either your old surgeon or a new dr check the stoma on your bypass and go from there. As I stated before - if you have new insurance..who is to say you can't have a another revision. In my case..I had my bypass and the new dr moved my Y junction further down to give me more mal absorption laporscopially, and I couldnt be happier.  See if that is an option for you.  Best of luck..
Holdenwhat
on 7/18/12 9:41 am
 HI- I think every case is different but to me it doesn't sound like you're out-eating your procedures. I had RNY in 2006 and only lost 35 pounds, despite eating 500-800 calories a day. I had it done at Kaiser, and they put you on a specific diet to follow for a number of months. I did that diet and lost nothing; their expectation was that a person would lose an average of 3 pounds per week. Being fat, we go through a lot of attempts to lose weight and our bodies dont always respond like we hope they will. 
I now weigh 100 more than I did before my RNY. even though I still have a small pouch. I eat far less than I did before surgery but my metabolism is shot and I am looking to have a revision to a DS. I need more malabsorbtion.  And I am guessing that you may need something like that also. Your body failing to lose weight is not your fault if you are doing your part- you may be able to find what your body needs to be successful, even if it is your 3rd surgery.
I totally understand feeling defeated but let me encourage you not to feel ashamed. You've been through enough and some bodies simply don't respond the way we would hope. I have heard that 10% of all RNY's fail from the start- that people just don't lose weight, despite their adherence to their program. What more can we be expected to do, except to keep looking for a solution? Weight loss surgery is still a young process- years from now it will be much more fine tuned. Until then, I guess we are the people that the doctors are learning from.
Best of luck- I hope you find something that works for you. 
Most Active