Lapband to Sleeve Revision

Teresa J.
on 7/11/12 12:02 am - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I have seen a couple of posts in the past on this same subject but it has been so long.

I am scheduled to have my band removed on July 30th and the sleeve done on August 6th.  Is it normal to have one surgery and then wait to have the other?  It seems to me that insurance would have a fit to have to pay for two surgeries and it would seem that it would be less tramatic to the patient to only be put under once.  Please, any advise would be grateful!!

Teresa

Bf516
on 7/11/12 12:20 am
I am unsure if that is surgeon recommended or not.
HOwever, I am going for the same band to sleeve revision & my surgeon is planning on ONE proceedure.
Thank God 'cause it's scary going under
pineview01
on 7/11/12 6:06 am - Davison, MI
My surgon wants you to wait two months inbetween to allow the stomach to heal from the damage done by the band.  When they place the band, at least if they do it as told to, they bring the stomach over the band and stich.  Than the body makes a capsule over this.  This area is more likely to leak.  That is why they want this area to heal first. per my Doc

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 7/11/12 9:06 am - Vancouver, WA
Like Pineview said it's kinda up to the doc and how much damage is done by the band. I can see advantages to both situations. Altho it seems like your doc would wait longer than a week in between, that hardly seems long enough for anything to heal. I'd ask him why if it is that soon after removal why not just do it all at once and see what he says. Ayway just be grateful you are getting it done, so many of us aren't able to. Good luck to you!
scarlettbegonias
on 7/11/12 9:09 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
I agree with hislady I find a week an odd amount of time- nothing will have healed so it won't lessen your chances of a leak and doing it that close it would make more sense to do it all at once.
I wanted my revision in one surgery but my band had caused way too much damage- band was removed 8 weeks ago and I get sleeved in two , At first I was pissed about it but I has soo many issues with my band this time has given me a chance to deal with them and get my head in a better place with food before the band goes in.
Delia Montalvo
on 7/13/12 4:45 am - San Antonio, TX
I had the band to sleeve revision in one day...did well with weight loss for a while, however, I developed GERD big time...I am having episodes of acidity reflux almost nightly...and it is caused by the scar tissue the band left...the only other solution now is the gastric bypass...which I am scheduled for on 7/23...I'm ready for it...I put it in God's hands.
pineview01
on 7/13/12 5:26 am, edited 7/13/12 5:27 am - Davison, MI
Deleted saw your answer on another thread

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lelagoddess
on 7/18/12 11:16 pm
Not to hijack the original thread but--this is what I"m worried most about right now.  I am having my band removed and planning on the sleeve.  However, I started having GERD due to the band, and my surgeon thinks I would do better with bypass.  Malobsorption (of vitamins and meds...) scares the beejesus out of me, so I would *really* prefer the sleeve, even if it means long term PPI's/H2 inhibitors for the acid. 

Good luck with you bypass...I'll be wating to hear how it goes!

Ashley A.
on 7/16/12 6:08 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
Hi,

I just had my band to sleeve done on 6/27 and both were done during the same procedure. It always depends on the surgeon and what they see once they get in there but I do find it odd that they are going to wait only a week before going in again.  I would definitely talk to your surgeon and find out what their reasoning is behind this.

Good Luck with your surgery! Keep us posted.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

pineview01
on 7/16/12 10:01 am, edited 8/25/12 6:35 am - Davison, MI
That is great to hear.  After my sugeon stated I would have to wait two months, I asked to get           going on the band out the PA said they want to wait until I get approval of the sleeve just in case they can do it in one. I wish they would make up their minds so I can get going/

Updating as the center came back with no same surgery conversions.  I have to wait 2-6 months depending on who you talk to and when.

Also now the insurance won't pay for a second surgery.

Most Active