VBG Revision to RNY 7-16-2012

12Rowrena
on 7/6/12 4:39 pm - Reinbeck, IA
My VBG was done 7-15-1999 an it only took 45 minutes and it was oipen.  I am now to have a revision to RNY lapriscopically if there isn't any problems and if there are then it would be open.  I'm desperatly hoping the laprascopic surgery works for me as I so remember the pain from the VBG for 5 to 7 days.  What I am very curious about is how long normally does this revision take if there are no problems?  The nurse who called and said my surgery was scheduled for 7-16-2012, said she as putting me in for either 7 or 8 hours and that scares the crap out of me.  Does it really take them that long with some people?  If so why, what would cause it to take them so long?  I'm doing ok on this liquid diet that I will be starting on my 5th day tomorrow and have lost close to 7 lbs so far and I'm excited to start my new life but also very anxious and worried over the amount of time that is being reserved for my surgery.  I understand that more than likely that much time won't be needed but they have to put you in for what it could be so the Operating Room is reserved - BUT I want anyone who has had this revision surgery as I am about to have tell me how it went for you.  I was also told I would be in the hospital a few days longer than the people having their first WLS - anyone know how many days I am looking at?  The nurse also told me I would be coming hope with a feeding tube - is that a for sure or a possibility - ???  I said I will and she firmly reminded me hat this was a very serious surgery and that I may also have a drainable tupe also.  I do not get to see my surgeon until the friday before my surgery on 7-13-99 so I have to be sure I write down all my questions for him then but till then if anyone here can give me any insight or any information that might help calm my nervers I would really be appreciateive of whatever you may be able to tell me.  Thank you so much for reading my post and Thank even more if you actually post something to me.  I see that many posts are read but not too many people actually answer the questions and for now I'm the one asking and learning and hopefully I will be one of you that can read the posts and help answer some of the questions.  Pleaae Help Me with any and all info you may have for me.
patfaulk
on 7/7/12 5:32 am
Why is a moderator necessary?
12Rowrena
on 7/7/12 11:44 am - Reinbeck, IA
Moderaters are there to reed what people post to be sure they are relavent to the subject and keep away all the people trying to sell things and such.  I for one am very glad they have Moderators these days.
patfaulk
on 7/7/12 5:41 am
My sister had the bypass surgery approx 6yrs ago. She had the revision this past January 2012 and had a very difficult time keepiny anything down including liquids.
12Rowrena
on 7/7/12 11:43 am - Reinbeck, IA
You said he had a bypass surgery 6 years ago - was that an RNY?  then a revision  in January - do you know what they revised her to.  My VBG is not a bypass - the first surgery I had - it is acutally just stapling my stomach to a much smaller stomach and that is all they do.  Because of my back surgeries and the fact that one of the staples pulled lose I need a revision to an RNY which is a bypass but RNY are not the only Bypass surgeries that they do.  Please if I am incorrect here someone corect me.  I've heard of other's like your sister that had trouble keeping anything down and that is why I am wanting to know the name of her first surgery and the kind of revision that was done so that I may have this as a quesion for my surgeon?

The way I understand it is they will need to make a new pouch with staples and then do the bypass and I'm thinking that all the extra time is added in case they run into problems like scar tissue and such.  But the nurse telling me I will be going home with a drainage tube and feeding tube scares me and I'm wondering if that is in deed common for all RNY's or just with ones that they have problems with.

I've done quite a bit of research but that does not mean that what I have said it the truth - it's what I take from what I've read.  If anyone has any corrections for me and would like to explain to me why this nurse told me I would have these things unless just to get me prepapred in case I would have to have these tubes is what I am hoping.
patfaulk
on 7/7/12 1:32 pm
All i know is that she had gastric bypass approx 6 yrs ago. She lost a lot of weight but gained alot of it back over the yrs. in Jan 2012 she had the revision and had complications of keeping anything down. She went the hospital in may for what the dr said was a hernia. They found that she had leaks from the surgery (scar tissue) which caused ecoleai in her abdominal cavity then a lot of respiratory problems which she had to be put on a ventilator. My sister did not make it out of the hospital! The surgeries maybe a sucess for some but i pray that you will seek out answers to all yor questions before going through with the revision.
12Rowrena
on 7/8/12 5:32 am - Reinbeck, IA
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.  All of us know there is always that possibility that we will not make it through.  We always have to decide on whether we prefer to stay miserable and like me bedridden because of pain and it has gotten so bad because of the added weight I either have to do this revision and hope and pray everything ends up for the best and the percentage rate is very low for the fatalities or try and figure out if this no life I am living is really worth it.  I chose to try and make it better so I can have a better quality of life.  I'm sure your sister was also trying to improve her life and because of all her complications she was one of the unfortunate.  I'm so sorry for you and your family.

Rowrena Tichy

MsBatt
on 7/7/12 2:17 pm
Vertical banded gastroplasty

Here's a pic of the VBG. As you can see, putting your stomach back together is going to take some time.

The RNY is a gastric bypass, and it's the only currently-performed WLS that bypasses the stomach. In both the VSG/Sleeve and the DS, stomach size is greated reduced, by completely removing from the body the majority of the stomach tissue. In the RNY and the DS there's also an intestinal bypass, to cause malabsorption. In the RNY, very little intestine is bypassed, and the malabsorption of calories is largely overcome by 18-24 months post-op. In the DS, much more of the small intestine is bypassed, and the malabsorption of calories is permanent. (Which is why the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats.)

I don't think that most surgeons send their patients home with feeding tubes or drainage tubes. I had neither, and I've not spoken to many people who did.
MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:37 am
Yes, sometimes it DOES that that long. Keep in mind that they're actually doing two surgeries on you---first they're reversing the old surgery, then after they get you put back together, they're doing a new WLS on you. Also, you may have scar tissue, adhesions, etc. that will need to be dealt with.
12Rowrena
on 7/8/12 5:39 am - Reinbeck, IA
I just assumed they made the original pouch smaller again and went on with the VBG.  I did not realize they had to put your stonach back together to then do an RNY.  I will indeed as my surgeon about this when I have my appointment with him next Friday as I want to know why it would take up to 8 hours.

Everyone ought to be telling patfaulk how sorry we are for her sisters loss due to a revision surgery as it does happen and we are all told this going into any surgery and I know the revision is more involved but without the help I won't survive the life I am left with now because it is not a life.  I can't go anywhere - not even to the grocery store because of my pain and the added weight is added to the pain and when my back is in need of yet another surgery for which is a fact I will be too high risk at the weight I am right now so I for one have no option but to have this revision and pray that everything goes ok.

But there are ones that don't have the positive outcome the majority do.  For that I am truley sorry and is another reason I had my living will just done and my Last Will and Test done and signed just last Thursday.

Rowrena Tichy

Most Active