9 days post-op and out of the hospital

TallDarknRalph
on 7/5/12 12:11 am
 I was hoping to be writing this message a few days earlier, but unfortunately things didnt happen that way.

on 6/26 on went in for RNY revision surgery, basically my first RNY was being re-done to correcterrors in procedure that lead to my ultimate surgery failure 11 years later. I was told the surgery would be 2-4 hours in length. The procedure lasted 6 hours and from what i understand i had a ton of scar tissue, but the revision was also extremely extensive.

post op on tuesday night i did not feel so bad, ye i was tired and sore, but when compared with my first surgery this post-op was so much better. Then things started to go downhill. All day wednesday i felt i had a cold coming on and my throat closing...i couldnt sleep because i couldnt breathe right...eventually i had fluid in my left lung making it difficult to breath and cough to bring up the fluid. So at that ime i decided i had to get up and get moving to fill my lungs....

Even while walking, i felt no better and had a fever that kept slowing rising to about 104. Then on late thursday afternoon, my walking was put to a halt. Seems like i had gone into rapid atrial fibrillation, causing an immediate ct-scan to see if issue was a leak or the heart...it was deecided it was the heart...so now i was sent to ICU where i remained monitored and medicatated until saturday afternoon when i was tansferred back to where i started.

The treament from the doctors and nurses was excellent. i kept recovering until monday when they pulled  my port from my stomach. A nerve was irritated and lead to another day in the hospital, until my final release on Tuesday PM...one week later.

Funny all my problems between the lungs and heart and an infection had nothing to do with the surgery that went well. My issues were caused i believe to the fact that my body was out of shape and wasnt ready for a major surgery.

as for eating, i had nothing the tuesdaay of surgery, wed., thurs. were ice chips only...while on fri i got clear liquids, which i have been on til today. I have added a protein shake.

My question is, should i be adding anything else to my diet at this time...and what shake would you guyus suggest.

thanks

Luvsdaislands
on 7/5/12 2:53 am - Landover, MD
Congratulations on your revision.  I had mines done on June 28th.

I have been eating sugar-free Jello, Chicken and Beef broth or just the liquids from low-fat chicken noodle soup.  Protein shake...my favorite is frozen mangos, Crystal Light Lemonade, scoop of Jay Robb's Vanilla proten powder and a few ice cubes(sometimes).  I have also used Peaches and Peach Crystal light.  Also, sugar-free popcicles and Danon light n fit yogurt.

Only look back in life to know where you DON'T want to go

TallDarknRalph
on 7/5/12 5:15 am
 Thanks...looks like we are shopping for same stuff...wanted To make sure I wasn't moving too fast
susan17821
on 7/5/12 9:08 am, edited 7/5/12 9:09 am - Danville, PA
Revision on 06/18/12
Congratulations on your revision. Its nice to be home from the hospital. I am on the liquid diet, protein shakes, diet jello which I add pro-source to so I get extra protein in. Also, yogurt, cream soups, broth w/pro-source added and lots of water..etc. Good luck with everything. 

TallDarknRalph
on 7/5/12 10:54 am
 thanks for the adice...question, what is pro source and where can i get it
susan17821
on 7/6/12 12:06 am, edited 7/6/12 12:06 am - Danville, PA
Revision on 06/18/12
Pro-Source is liquid protein that you can add to hot or cold beverages or jello. I bought mine at my local pharmacy. It cost about $26.00 and has 32 servings of 10 grams protein per serving. I just add 2 servings (which is equivalent to 4 tbsp) to a box of diet jello which  increases my protein intake by 5 grams since the diet jello makes 4 servings. You can also buy a powdered pro-source, which has 6 gr protein in 2 tbsp, which I add to my broth. Hope this helps.

ttrina50
on 7/6/12 5:03 am
just want to know how much have you lost in 9 days, I have appointment on the 19th
susan17821
on 7/10/12 12:30 pm - Danville, PA
Revision on 06/18/12
I've lost 22 pounds since June 18. 

Most Active