Qualifications for Revision?

JD3873
on 7/4/12 7:34 pm
 Hi there. I was wondering if someone could share their revision approval journey.  Was it enough just to still have a high BMI or did there have to be a malfunction with the original surgery? What are the options for revsion after a RNY? 

I am just starting the process of considering it. I had RNY in 2002 and lost 200 lbs.  I haven't regained any but I never acheievd a healthy weight. My weight has been stable for about 6 years now (around 240)  but it I am only able to stay at this weight with sincere struggle. I eat right, exercise 5-6 times a week, and I have a personal trainer.  My BMI is still 40. I am 29 years old and my husband and I would like to consider having childern about 5 years from now but I know I really need to get the rest of this weight of before I can consider doing so due to infertility issues surrounding polycystic ovarian disease.  I need additional help : (

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. I have Cigna if anyone wishes to share their experiences on this topic with them.

I am scheduling a consultation appointment today. Are there any key points that I should express to the surgeon when I meet with him?

Thank you so much. 

- JD

dmoore1162
on 7/5/12 12:41 pm
I would check with Cigna to find out what they require.  My insurance had the same requirements for my revision as they did for my original surgery. 

I am scheduled 7/16/12 for band over bypass - where they put the lap band on over the rny.  From my understanding the lap band or duodonenal switch are the only two you can have.  But this is something you definatly want to address with your doctor.
Delores Moore
it's never too late

pineview01
on 7/5/12 7:45 pm, edited 7/11/12 9:31 am - Davison, MI
I talked to the surgon and insurance person yesterday.  I will have to do more than the first time.  Even though I am revising due to medical reasons.  I have to redo the phyc PLUS take three classes.

If given the choice I too, would pick as DS over a band over RNY.  My sister had a DS long time ago and has kept almost all her EW off.  I have had major problems with the band as it is artifical and my body doesn't like it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:41 am
Your best bet would be revision to the DS---and given what your BMI was pre-op, your surgeon really should have talked to you about the DS to start with. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

However, there are VERY FEW surgeons qualified to do a true RNY-to-DS revision. You'll probably have to travel in order to gt this particular revision. I'd recommend Dr. Keshishian in CA.
Most Active