1-month check in 4 supervised diet was not a good experience!

Tonya M.
on 7/2/12 5:30 am - Fort Dodge, IA
So I just got back from 1-month check in for my 6-month diet I am doing in case my insurance requires it in order to be approved for a revision.  And to be honest I am kinda bummed.  My PCP tried to tell me that if I eat 1200 cal/daily & walk for 30 mins 5 times/week I can lose a pound a day?!?!?  I didn't want to correct him and maybe he meant a pound a week.  But then he goes on to say that I dont think your insurance will approved this surgery a second because they only want to pay for one surgery of this nature.  Totally bummed me out!!  The bariatric office I am being seen in repeatedly has told me that my insurance (Medicaid) does pay for revisions its just they likely will require a 6-month supervised diet, even if the pouch & stoma are found to be dilated (which mine were found to be in such a condition).  I am trying not to give up but it would really crush me to do all this to get denied.  Anyway, I think I will see another PCP in my doctor's office at my next visit because its really important that I get the support I need from whomever is guiding me on this supervised diet thing.  Maybe I am being too sensitive?  Anyway, just needed to vent..thanks OH Fam!
ginany
on 7/2/12 9:19 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Medicaid paid for my revision
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Tonya M.
on 7/4/12 3:48 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Hey Gina,

could you tell me a little bit more about your experience with medicaid and your revision?  Like under what cir****tances did they approve it and were you required to do anything like sleep study, supervised diet, ect.?  I know each state's Medicaid are different, but just curious as to how it worked out for u?  

Thanks,

Tonya

ginany
on 7/4/12 7:18 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Your BMI has to be 35 with comorbidities or 40 without. It must be medically necessary. Try to keep some sort of record of weight loss attempts.  Make a spread sheet,  Show some sort of weekly weigh ins what you did, what you ate and exercise. I was denied for being non-copliant.  Then when I produced the spread sheet, I was approved. I wrote a letter and had my PCP sign it stating that it was medically necessary. Im not sure if I still have the letter. I have Hashimotos disease and I also had a letter from my endocronologist stating it was medically necessary.   When I check my other computer, I will send it to you if you want.  Be well prepared. 
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Tonya M.
on 7/5/12 4:41 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Yea, that would be great.  I started a 6-month supervised diet with my PCP last month so I'll have that documentation.  Do you think I should make my own at home as well? 
ginany
on 7/5/12 4:59 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I think they wanted to see 2 years of weight loss attempts.  I gave them a year(my own spread sheet)  Definately keep a record.  Better to be well prepared.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

susan17821
on 7/2/12 11:29 am - Danville, PA
Revision on 06/18/12
Hang in there, I would go with what the Bariatric department told you, they are experienced in this and deal with insurance plans daily.  Good luck!
Tonya M.
on 7/4/12 3:49 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Thanks Susan!  I appreciate your encouragement ;-)
IceMama
on 7/3/12 12:24 am
Keep your head up!!
What kind of revision are you seeking? That doctor is wrong,... I tried that 30 min 1200 calorie deal not so much.
My Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ItAintDaEazyWay

Stephanie "Ice Mama"
RNY 3-22-06 302/158/138;''''
Weight Regained = 225lbs, Revision 4/27/12
Tonya M.
on 7/4/12 3:57 am - Fort Dodge, IA
Well I originally have the Roux-En-Y but I am leaning towards a revision to the sleeve.  Ive watched your vids..did you just have a revision of your original surgery?
Most Active