How did you explain to the doctor?

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 2:14 am - WA

In my research  most revisions are due to weight gain. How did you explain to the doctor how and why you gained back the weight and how it would be different the second time.

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 8:44 am - Wendell, NC
I  understand  your question  completely and  its hard to  explain  to  the  Dr..... But my  situation is  different,  I  havent  regained  much  weight I  just  Stopped  losing  after 7 months. So I  never reached my  goal. At  first  my Dr.( which  is  my  new  Dr. who  didnt  perform  my  surg) he  didnt  understand  and he  told me  my  tool  is  still  there  and  I  needed  to  over exert  myself!!! OK  I  immediately  told him , I  work my  butt  off exercising  and  eating  right no  somedays  , when I  feel  like  it  BUT  everyday and  the  problem  is  not  within  me ! After  researching and  sending me  for some  general  testing. He  said My  previous  DR. should  have made my pouch oblong  as  well as  smaller  and  he  aslo  was  honest and  told  me  to  get a  second  opinion. I  understand  that these  DRs, need  to  be  honest and tell  us  as patients  that  a  revision  is not going  to be  as  beneficial  as  the  first  surgery and the  risk are  much  higher.  This  is  a learning process  for  all of  us and  I  truly  believ that noone  wants  to  go  through this for  the  fun of  it. And  the  second time  around  you know  what to  do  and  what  not  to  do. Being overweight is  not  fun and  having a  failed  surgery or  weight  regain  is  not fun either. I  think  any  revision patient  will learn from prior mistakes. Good  Luck  with  your  Dr. 
Ladytazz
on 7/1/12 2:53 pm
I put off going back to my surgeon because I felt like such a failure.  I didn't go back to get a revision because I had regained my weight.  I went back to ask for a reversal because I had such terrible side effects and since I had regained almost all my weight anyway I didn't have anything to lose by having the surgery reversed.  I regretted ever having the surgery in the first place.  It would have been bad enough if I had just regained my weight but my life was miserable in many ways and I just wanted to forget I ever had WLS.
I was told I couldn't be reversed, only revised and while he was at it he would give me a RNY pouch since I had no restriction.  He didn't expect me to lose weight.  He told me several times that I may not lose any weight.  I don't know if he said that because I had failed so miserably with my first surgery that there was no hope for me or what but honestly I didn't care.  I just wanted the bad effects to go away.
My opinion, and my opinion only, is that I never would have gotten a revision just to lose weight.  To me I had already failed so what would be the difference the next time?  I had no faith in myself.  I didn't doubt that WLS worked but I felt that I was such a lost cause that I would never be able to make it work for me.  I considered myself a hopeless compulsive overeater.  The fact that I had a revision and was able to turn things around and use my tool as it was intended to keep from overeating and to eat in a healthy way is nothing short of a miracle to me, one that I don't take for granted.  
My surgeon never seemed to care whether or not I would succeed as the only goal at that point was to restore my health, which the revision did.  The weight loss was kind of an unexpected bonus.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Allen Y.
on 7/5/12 11:37 pm - Garland, TX
 I told him exactly how it was, two deaths, marital problems and failure to accept the thin me as a person. 

But I learned from all that and hope I learned enough to do it right this time.

Regards
Allen

Most Active