What to revise to??? RNY to WHAT???

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 9:00 am - Wendell, NC

Hi  everyone! I  had  RNY in  2009 I  stopped  losing completely after  7 months. My  original  Dr kept  telling me  its  just a  stall and  to  go  on  the  liquid  diet for  a  week I  did and  lost  a  few lbs  and  stalled  again. Let me  say  that I  eat  right exercise  regularly  (almost  daily) I  am  doing  what I  am  supposed  to  do , after not  being able  to get any assistance or  satisfactory  help  from  my  surgeon I switched my  Dr. in 2012 . I  have been seeing this Dr. since  February, he  only  perform a  few  types  of  revision  surgeries, which  are BOB , gastric  sleeve, and  RNY . He  was  honest and  told  me  that he  only  reccommended the  sleeve and BOB .  i  dont  want  the  BOB , so I am leading toward the  sleeve. I  just  dont know if I  am  making the  right  decision and I  definitely  want  to make  the  right  choice ....Thanks

heathercross
on 7/1/12 9:45 am, edited 7/1/12 9:45 am - New York, NY
 Why does he think your RNY failed? What did the endoscopy show?  The CT Scan of your abdomen? Was there mechanical failure?  Did your pouch stretch? Is your stomach enlarged? Why did you RNY not work.

Ruth S.
on 7/2/12 2:11 am - Orlando, FL
 Hi, not sure what you mean by a BOB.  I can tell you my surgeon no longer practices and I was looking for a revision.  I found Dr. Beltre and what he did was make my RNY more malaborptive by moving the Y junction down further thus one can achieve w/l w/o having to have a new surgery in place and it should be done (mine was) lap.  Best of luck to you.  Im glad I found the right doctor and had the revision that was good/best for me.  Best of luck!

Ruth S.
sergbull43
on 7/2/12 11:02 am - CA
Hi,
My name is Judy and I have several issues. I had an RnY in July 2009. Everything was fine until Dec 2011. I got asthma (severely) and was given high injections of Prednisone (like 160 mgs) in the hospital for breathing exacerbation and cough and pneumonia. I bloated 15 pounds in 1 week from that. Since then I gained another 20 pounds in 6 months. Higher appetite due to Prednisone.
Low and behold now the Pulmonologist I am seeings says its Acid reflux flowing back into the esophagus so I have GERD which my NEW bariatric doctor at Stanford said is HIGHLY unlikely to occur after gastric bypass (RnY) So I am up still 35 pounds and had lost 70 pounds. .so I gained 1/2 back in a matter of 7 months due to Prednisone basically.

Now I had a PH Monitor, Manometry, Endoscopy and today an Upper GI. They all show Acid reflux GERD and  another Hiatal Hernia alone with laryngitis due to the acid spilling over to my voicebox;.\

My Digestive doctor believes I may need a Revision, but I don't know what the Revision will entail. I hope that I will get something similar to you Ruth. My question is was it a quick surgery? How long was the recovery? How much did you have to lose because of the revision?

I also have some other medical problems. Like Anemia, low on Protein, and this is due to malabsorption of vitamins. I TAKE VITAMINS RELIGIOUSLY, and still having that problem.

Please let me know a little more about your revision and what type of diet did you have to follow after. I will do anything if this will help my health and regain it back... This was a horrible experience to go through..
Thanks - Judy
brownsugargirl
on 8/9/12 10:59 pm - Ambridge, PA
Omg.. Nobody believed me that's how I gained 30lbs breathing treatments and steroids injections in my knee's,.. I knew there was a connection to it and weight gain.. Michelle
heathercross
on 7/3/12 11:00 pm - New York, NY
 Ruth, a BOB is a Band over Bypass, its for people who've had an RNY and their pouch has stretched so now they get a Band. I got one a year ago, I've lost all the weight I've regained and still losing.

Luvsdaislands
on 7/5/12 3:18 am - Landover, MD
Serg....I had acid reflux also that was due to 3 ulcers.  I also had anemina and had to get a blood transfusion (that's how low it was), low iron, low vitamin D. 

I had RNY in sept. 06, and lost a totol of 185lbs. by 08 but gradually gained back about 60lbs. in the last 2 years, don't seem like much but when they found I had 3 ulcers and all the other issues i listed above they recommended a revision.  I had to get my blood levels and iron, vitamin D levels up before surgery and I had to do a 2 week liquid diet before my surgery. 

Only look back in life to know where you DON'T want to go

MsBatt
on 7/7/12 9:03 am
You should also consider the possibility of revising to a DS. The DS has more malabsorption than the RNY, and it's permanent---which is probably the reason that the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats. The DS is basically the Sleeve plus an intestinal bypass similar to what you have with your RNY, but with more bypassed.
Most Active