Looking for help (Hopefully in all the right places!)

dispatchermarly
on 6/28/12 1:40 am - Indio, CA
 Hello all! Hope your morning is great thus far!

So, I had the gastric bypass in Dec 2006 (I was 21 yrs old), I started at 270, and got down (lowest was 160). I will admit that I mourned food for a long time. I often cried, and then once I started to lose the weight (and gain confidence) I started to go out more often with friends. Instead of food, I was consuming more alcohol, and I was now not afraid or ashamed to go out. And with the alcohol hitting my blood stream quicker (Yes, I got drunk) ... There were plenty of times where I would drink enough to get drunk enough to want the "munchies" and I know that I OVERATE because of it. Along with the alcoholism that was substituted for food, I slowly started to gain the weight back. Over the course of 6 years I have now gained back 50-60 pounds back, and have not been able to lose it. Alcohol is no longer a factor in my life, I don't drink.

I am thinking about trying to get a revision done on my bypass, because I know for a fact that my pouch has stretched. I am not interested in stomaphyx, as I've heard nothing good about it. And I don't want any complicated surgeries, I'm thinking the band over bypass? What are all of your thoughts on that? I would like to lose the weight I have gained back and poss actually get down to my original goal weight of 150.

Any and all help and advice would be great. This has been a long hard journey, and I'm ready to get back on the right path again! :)

Thank you all.
Ladytazz
on 6/28/12 3:13 am
Your first step would be to be tested to see if in fact you have stretched your pouch or more likely your stoma.  If that is the case then you can discuss a revision, either to fix the RNY or to another procedure.  I wouldn't really recommend a band over bypass any more then I would advice a band in the first place.  I just don't see a lot of people happy with the band over the long term.
If there is nothing wrong with your RNY then it comes down to making behavior changes, which really need to be worked on with or without a revision because without changing your behaviors you are just going to be unhappy again in a few years.
Have you identified why you have regained your excess weight and made the changes to your eating to address that?  Because if not no WLS in the world will help you long term.  Believe me, I know first hand.  The work is in our heads before any work on our bodies will help us.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

heathercross
on 6/28/12 9:47 am - New York, NY
 Hi. I had a BOB last June. I've lost all the weight I regained after the RNY and I have no hunger and I have restriction. I am now in the 180s.  I was 305 when I did the RNY, regained back to 250 and am now down to 186.  I love my band. Yes, it doesn't work for some, but, you and I both know that RNY doesn't work for everyone either.  Please check out my profile, I've been good about blogging. Eveyrone listed as a "friend" is a BOB.  Email me with any questions.
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 9:08 am - Wendell, NC
Hi ,
  I  am  seeking a  revision and I  have  a BOB  question for  you. I see you  had  the BOB in  June  last  year so  it took  you a year to  lose approx. 60+ lbs. I  know  the revision is  much slower than the  original surgery, but are  the results  quicker  with other revision surgeries or  about  the  same? Thanks  for  your  help   
heathercross
on 7/1/12 9:13 am - New York, NY
 I cannot speak about other surgeries, but, the weight loss with the band is SLOW period. I think that is universal whether its your first surgery or a revision.  They quote 1-2 lbs a week.  There were times Iost 5-8 lbs in 10 days and other times I lost nothing for a month.  I will take slow and steady than fast and "take for granted" like the RNY.  Plus, to everyone on the outside, I look like I was on a "diet".  While I was very forthcoming the first time about the RNY, this time, I was a lot more private.  I didn't want to hear about failing.

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 2:14 pm - Wendell, NC
Thank you  for taking the  time  to  respond to my post and I  totally  understand  about being private about this, people  can be  so  negative and judgemental. I  have heard a lot about the  BOB  ,whatever I  decide I do know  I am going to  take  my time  and do my research. Congrats on your  weight loss !
Most Active