Newbie Intro with some questions!

Trisha T.
on 6/26/12 3:15 am
Hi there!  I had my Gastric Bypass in 2002.  It was a long journey, but by 2005 I was feeling great.  Got married and had 2 kids 18 months apart.  the weight started to come back after my first and stayed on after my second.  I went from 278 to 150 and I settled at around 180.  I felt crappy at 150 but GREAT at 180.  I'm now at 230.  

I'm at a loss as to how to get this weight back off. I've tried diets/Weigh****chers etc.  I have a thyroid condition which makes it hard and I also have some physical limitations (recent knee, hip and back issues).  I know the physical limitations would be alleviated if I lost weight...but the weight is preventing me from being as active as I need to be.

I recently started thinking about a revision to my bypass.  I plan on reading through through this forum to get some information and guidance.  I don't know what I'm going to do just yet...I have 2 small children and surgery scares me..but seeing how the weight is affecting my day to day kills me.

I'm interested in hearing stories - the good, the bad and the ugly :-)

Thanks - Trisha
Tonya M.
on 6/26/12 3:33 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Hey there..I too gained my weight back after having surgery in 2005.  I started looking into a revision about a month ago and had an EGD where the surgeon (not my original one) looked into my stomach and found that both my pouch & stoma are stretched.  He did state that a revision is what's going to need to take place in order for me to get my weight back off.  So thats what I am hoping for.  I should hear back from him this week to hear about my biopsy results and then discuss what type of revision would be best fit my needs.  I'm excited and hope all goes as planned.  Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide just reading up on the different types of revisions really helped me make my final decision if I wanted to go ahead and try and get one done.  Take care!

Whit
on 6/26/12 7:30 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 HI Tonya,
I am curious what was biopsied and why?
Best,
Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tonya M.
on 6/26/12 8:22 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Whit,

My pouch was biopsied and the reason for that was so the surgeon could determine if there was any bacteria, cancer, ect. wrong in there.  It all came back negative.  The nurse just called me a little while ago.

Tonya

Whit
on 6/26/12 8:33 am, edited 7/10/12 6:41 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Thats good news T. Keep us updated as I am a revision seeker too.

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

susan17821
on 6/26/12 9:32 pm - Danville, PA
Revision on 06/18/12
I had a lap band put in in 2005, lost weight initially and then started developing problems with my esophagus. After deflating the band totally (and regaining all my weight plus some), my Dr said come back when ready and he would do the RNY. I finally made the decision to have it done in July, 2011, and have gone through all the steps with my health care provider and insurance. It has been a long year with much anxiety on my part. (i was like a pendulum swinging back and forth.) but I am so thankful that my heart over ruled my head on this and I had it done. I feel wonderful (with the exception of the incision sites which are healing nicely). Now I'm just mad at myself for putting it off for so long. I wish you the best.
Most Active