Will be scheduling my Roux N Y revision this Friday....

Barbara Keller
on 6/25/12 10:49 am - Gaffney, SC
Revision on 09/10/12
 I had my first surgery September 2001 so I am now almost 11 years post op.  I am frustrated with myself that I have gained back 70 pounds however this is probably not terrible after this long a period.  I lost 200 lbs with my first Roux N Y...weighed over 400 lbs pre op and lost down to 201 lbs. It was a new life for me and I have NEVER regretted having the surgery.  What I do regret is thinking that it was a magic solution that required nothing of myself.  I never realized that I had that mindset until recently when preparing for revision.....
I had been wanting a revision for a long time but really didn't believe it could be a realization.  It actually has come about by accident.....I "accidently" loss consciousness in November, 2011 landing me at my MD office who sent me to a local Bariatric MD (not the one who originally did my surgery), Dr Johnson in Spartanburg.  He is in practice with Dr Ross.  THe reason for my visit was to see if my loss of consciousness might be related to my surgery.  Fortunately it wasn't and that has been resolved.  While at the appt Dr. Johnson saw my very large hernia.  I had a hernia from the first surgery that was repaired with mesh that has now busted open.  He talked to me about having it repaired and then asked the question I had longed to hear...'WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BYPASS REVISED".  HECK YEAH! I REPLIED.  That set the ball in motion.  My insurance requires 6 months of dietary counselling, meeting the dietitian and NP.  I have now completed that along with attending another seminar and going through another psych eval. I PASSED AGAIN!!
I am a little afraid of the revision...not know what to expect.  WOUld love to hear from others.  
 Barbara Keller
Ladytazz
on 6/26/12 3:16 am
I too am a revision who thought I would never have a revision.  I would have never wanted a revision, either.  A reversal, yes, but never a revision, but my story was a bit different then yours, but I also thought WLS was the magic solution that required no changes from me and that mindset didn't change until my revision and I think that change is why I have had more success this time, at least to this point.  I never say never now because I never know what tomorrow brings.  Nothing gets me more concerned then seeing someone saying "X amount of pounds lost forever".  I certainly hope so but you can never be sure unless you put the work into it.
Good look to you.  WIth your attitude and continued work I am sure you will be successful.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Beautywithin
on 7/16/12 10:39 am - San Jose, CA
Ladytazz, are you a RNY to RNY revision?
Ladytazz
on 7/16/12 2:21 pm
No, I had a DS in 2002, had a lot of issues due to lack of pre op education and post op follow up, not to mention not very good compliance.  My revision was to reduce the amount of malabsorption and give me more restriction since my surgeon didn't give me much if any to begin with.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Beautywithin
on 7/16/12 3:26 pm - San Jose, CA
Thank you for sharing, Ladytazz.

I was just wondering, cause it's hard to find RNY to RNY revision patients that have had it done more than a year ago.

IF ANY OF YOU ARE OUT THERE, PLEASE, PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES.
Most Active