Band coming out, now what????

jennyrenny
on 6/23/12 9:24 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I had my band removed in February of this year. I had it for three years with almost no weight loss but lots of problems. I am soooooo glad to have it out. Now I can eat fruit and veggies and nonprocessed meat. Yay! However, I am bigger than ever so I need to do something.  Decided to go with the duodenal switch because I don't want to deal with the potential dumping and stuck issues that may go along with the RNY. I want to be able to have the occasional sweet treat. For some people those side effects are great because they are a deterrent to eating crap, but I dealt with those issues for three years and can't imagine it being a forever problem. In deciding what to do next I researched all of the surgeries to find out the pros and cons of each. Then I did some self reflection to figure out why the band didn't work for me and picked the surgery that was most likely to have the outcome I am looking for with the least chance of the problems I am trying to avoid. Consideration also was given to how much work i am willing to do after since the malabsorptive surgeries require a life long commitment to supplementation. From what I have seen on this board it is all about getting the surgery that fits YOU. What are your goals? What are you willing to give up to reach those goals? What limitations can you live with and what limitations seem unreasonable? Which side effects seem tolerable and which don't? If you can answer these questions, the next step will become more clear.  Good luck!
mymeow
on 6/25/12 12:09 am - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13
Thanks for your responses!  Unfortunately, I don't think my insurance covers the DS, so I really haven't looked much into it because of that, but it seems like many people have been successful with it! 

I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday.  The nurse told me that they are scheduling surgeries for July; however, I am going to ask him if he can unfill my band, see what I can do on my own and either take it out or do a revision after the first of the year.  There are some things going on in my personal as well as professional life right now, and it would be better for me if I can put it off for a few months.  I am hoping that if the fluid is taken out of the band, that maybe my stomach can get back to normal somewhat and I can get the revision done in one surgery at that time.  I'm thinking if the fluid is out, most of my complications from the slip and stretched pouch should resolve, at least I hope!!

Does this seem like a reasonable plan??

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Trish151
on 6/25/12 11:00 pm - TX
VSG on 05/30/12
I originally had my band for a little over a year. Had the same thing, esophagus dilated, then found out through EGD that band slipped. I had surgery in one operation and surgeon said it couldn't have gone any better. The revision surgery was supposed to take 2.5 hours minimum. My husband said I was in surgery all of 45 minutes. I've only had my sleeve for a month but I am down 23 lbs already. That is way faster than what I lost initially with the band. With the band I had to fight for every pound lost. Now my days are consumed with getting in enough water first. I also had to relearn what feeling full felt like. I have had a few instances where one more tiney bite ended up with the whole meal coming back up. I learned quickly. Good luck to you on your decision. I love the sleeve, especially after being sooooooo disappointed with the band.
mymeow
on 6/27/12 2:42 pm - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13

I had my appointment today with my surgeon.  He said the band definitely needs to come out and removed the saline from the band.  It was amazing how I could tell the difference right away and it was so nice to be able to eat my dinner tonight in no pain!! 

Anyways, he highly recommended me getting the band out and getting gastric bypass.  He thinks I will be more successful long term; however, would be willing to do whatever I prefer.  He compared the sleeve to being a lot like the band, so isn't sure I would be quite as successful; however, I know from reading this board it is very possible.  My main concern, as some people mentioned above, was the issues with potential heartburn/acid reflux with the sleeve.  He said if I had it with the band, it is possible I would have it with the sleeve, but much less likely with the gastric bypass. 

My SIL had a gastric bypass from the same surgeon 2 years ago and is doing awesome - down from 260+ to about 120.  I have a co-worker who had the sleeve by this same surgeon in January and is very happy with it, down about 40-50 lbs.  Before I left, my surgeon urged me to discuss the gastric bypass further with my SIL.  When I called her after my appt, she just went on and on about how happy she was with her decision and highly recommended it, etc.  I had my mind and heart set on the sleeve, but now I am torn.  I think the potential heartburn with the sleeve may be the breaking point if I decide to go with the gastric bypass.

In any case, he said there was no rush in getting the band out right now if I have no problems after the unfill.  He also said he could do both surgeries (band removal/revision) at the same time, which is what I wanted.  I need to reaccumulate some sick time (2 surgeries last year), plus I am taking some fall classes, my DH's 40th birthday vacation, and a sick dad who is getting ready to start chemo....all of that this fall, so I am holding off on making any final decisions until January.  Before I make a final decision, I am making a personal goal of losing 50 lbs by January.  If I can do this on my own, I will consider just getting the band out and calling it down (I'd be in the 100s).  If not, I think it will be time for my revision which at this moment would be gastric bypass.

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

frainfam
on 7/10/12 2:58 am
Hi! I had my band put in December of 2004, and had it removed October 2011. My BMI at that time was not high enough for my insurance to approve a revision, or even put a new band in. I had terrible reflux, and had tons of tests done, along with an upper endoscopy. I had about a week of relief from the reflux after the band was removed (I had a complete unfill before that, with very little relief a few weeks out) and then it came back. I am taking 300 mg of zantac every day, taking mylanta as needed, and it's still terrible. I would see how you do long term after the unfill, but I know I want my reflux cured, so I am starting my journey to get a RNY.
Dawne
Lap Band placed 12/2004 and removed 10/2011 due to slippage
Hoping for RNY
Vegan :D
snowolf50
on 7/10/12 5:26 am - Colorado Springs, CO

I am so sorry you are having these complications...I am 15 yrs post op Fobi pouch GB surg.  I have had uclers and reflux for years...The most recommended antiacid liquid is Gaviscon. It is way more expense around 8-10 dollars a bottle but works much better.  Also, is your Zantac over the counter?  You might ask your dr. for a trial of Protonix, Prilosec, or Previcid.  This (Protonix) seems to work best for me and some others that I know.  Please be sure to check with your dr. on the antiacids b/c you don't want to take to much and kill all the acid in your stomach either (which I did b/c it just hurt and burned all the time!)  Also, if you have not checked out Daily Strength that is also a GREAT online support group.  Good luck and stay in touch.

Most Active