Band coming out, now what????

mymeow
on 6/20/12 7:15 am - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13

I had an upper GI series last week due to some complications I had been having, and it looks like my band has slipped and the pouch is stretched.  I am waiting to meet with my surgeon regarding my options, but the nurse said the band would need to come out.   I've had my band a little over 4 years and weight from a preop weight of 292 down to 245, so I still have a long way to go.  My nurse said that many people have been removing their band (1 out of 4) due to complications or unsuccessful weight loss. 

So my question to you is who has had their band removed and did you get another procedure?  I don't want another band, but am debating between the sleeve or the gastric bypass.  I know people who have been successful with both, but am more hesitant to get the gastric bypass.  For anyone who has had a revision, can band removal and the other procedure be done during one operation? 

I would love to hear from people who have been in the same situation as I am, what you chose, and how you're doing.  Thanks!

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Hislady
on 6/20/12 8:46 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I haven't had a revision but wish I could. From what I've read in my 5 yrs with OH many, many bandsters have had to revise and alot of them have been very successful with the sleeve (that would be my personal choice) because the sleeve works like we were told the band would but didn't. It can be a bit slower for revisions but very doable if you give it your all. I also know of successful bypass patients too, that wouldn't interest me because of the malabsorbtion. Try reading both forums and see if that helps you. Good luck!
TamaraL
on 6/20/12 11:04 am
First thing you need to do is check with your insurance and see what your insurance covers. Many insurance companies don't cover the sleeve yet. 

Then find out what the revision guidelines are. 

I could not do the sleeve due to my heart burn was so bad.  I chose the RNY and have not regretted it. unfortunately I still have some heart burn with the RNY which is not normal

i did do the revision in one surgery but some doctors do 2 surgeries depending on the damage. a band can cause erosion or if there is too much scar tissue

Tamara

Turtle Lynn
on 6/20/12 12:40 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I'm 3 weeks post op revision from Band to RNY and my surgeon removed the band and then did my RNY at the same time.  

I originally wanted the Duodenal Switch, but I have health issues that make that not an option for me, so I went with the RNY.  I had horrendous acid reflux, which would not have been cured with the sleeve.  It has completely resolved with having had the RNY (it's the re-routing that fixes the reflux issue) that alone made having RNY worth it!!!  

My band was empty for 3 yrs and I still had horrible acid reflux and regained 50 lbs of the 100 I lost.  I ended up waiting till I got new insurance that covered removal and revision, but it was hell having to wait so long. 

The Band is being phased out by a lot of practices and is being replaced by the sleeve.  They are taking out Bands left and right now.  You may want to check out the DS, RNY and sleeve boards and see what those peeps have to say about their specific surgery.  

The most important thing is that you decide which surgery will work best for YOU, and than go with it.  

I'm not due to get weighed again till Monday, but so far I'm down 26 lbs and 2 clothing sizes, and that definitely is working for me!!!  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

HrkCmk35
on 6/21/12 7:17 am - Oswego, NY
Did your surgeon tell you that you wouldn't lose as much weight with the RNY as most people that haven't had a revision will? I just went to see mine today about getting my band out and revised to RNY. He told me I would probably only lose about 100lbs which will still make me 220 and that's still obese. I'm so deflated about that.

Turtle Lynn
on 6/21/12 12:45 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

No, actually, he didn't.  He was confident I would be able to get down to a "normal" weight for my height.  He is anticipating I will end up somewhere in the 130-150 lb range, whatever I am comfortable with.   

I wouldn't get down about an ending number at this point. . .you can do anything you set your mind too, it just may take a little longer!!!!!  We may lose a little slower, but this isn't a race, it's a lifestyle, and whether it takes 18 months or 3 years, as long as you don't give up, you can be as successful as you choose to be!!!!!

You never know, you may look and feel great at 200-220 lbs and decide that is where you want to be. . .being 100 lbs lighter would certainly make you feel better regardless of where you decide to stabilize your weight loss!!!!! 

band2sleeve_2012
on 6/20/12 12:45 pm
I have band removed and then sleeved.  There was a three month wait between surgeries per my surgeon's practice. 

Absolutely love the sleeve!

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

mymeow
on 6/20/12 10:30 pm - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13
I wasn't aware that heartburn could be an issue with the sleeve.  That's one of the main reasons I want the band out.  I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday, so I'll go over all of this with him.  The nurse told me as well that many times there is a 3-month wait, but it's on a case-by-case basis.  I honestly don't know that I want to have 2 surgeries as I had 2 unrelated surgeries last year, so not only am I about out of sick time I'm work, I'm just surgeried out!!  If they can't do it all at once, I may just get the band out and hope for the best, but at the same time I'm scared to death to gain back what I have lost!!!  Guess I'll just have a heart to heart with my doctor and see what he recommends and go from there!

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Turtle Lynn
on 6/21/12 12:54 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

It depends on how bad your heartburn is.  It's possible that you wouldn't be continue to have it.  Mine was horrendous.  It showed up clearly on my upper GI, and I have a good amount of damage to my esophagus from it.  I am now on med's to try and heal it.

With the sleeve you have a bigger stomach, about the size of a banana, and you are still making the acid and it can continue to splash up into the esophagus.  With the RNY you have a pouch about the size of an egg where you still make some acid, but in RNY it's much less because it's a smaller area.  The acid is still being produced but that is over in the part of your stomach that is re-routed and joined together in your lower intestines to mix with and break down the food, so no more splashing up into the esophagus.  That's why RNY is so good for WLS peeps with severe reflux.  

If you currently have heartburn, it is definitely something you may want to discuss with your surgeon.

Hopefully he will tell you it's a one-shot deal for the surgery. . . .Good luck, and keep us posted!

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/12 10:46 pm
Hi there!

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I'm in the middle of it myself. Not only is there the physical component of the band hurting your body and needing to come out there is also the mental part, which was the most difficult for me.  It was really hard to process the fact that the one and only surgery I thought I would ever need didn't work out and now I needed to figure out what to do. Sigh.

It is scary to face another surgery especially one that you may have already ruled out in your decision to get a band. I've spent the last several months coming to the decision to revise to the Duodenal Switch -- a surgery that I automatically ruled out pronto while researching wls the first time. My surgeon (Dr. Kemmeter in MI) thinks there is a good chance he can remove the band and revise all in the same surgery).

I wish you the speedy healing from your band removal and lots of success with your revision.

Take Care,
Trixie
Most Active