NEED to revise but will Medicare help?

Guernica Loser
on 6/12/12 1:04 pm
Hi all.  I'm a bander.  I did fairly well with it until I had a flare from my vasculitis.  I had to go on mega doses of prednisone and chemo again and gained about 25 pounds.  I was too tight and allowed carbs and sliders back into my life last year.

Well, I'm doing better and lower on prednisone and decarbed my life agian :)  I've lost the 25 pounds, but none of it has been with the help of my band.  I have to keep it so loose and even that makes me tight for no freakin' reason.  I DO NOT WANT TO SLIP BACK INTO EATING SLIDERS JUST TO BE ABLE TO EAT SOLIDS AGAIN.  I've really worked hard the past 3 months to lose 25 pounds (very difficult if you know anything about prednisone).

When I initially got my band my surgeon wanted me to get sleeved, but my vasculitis doctors didn't care for that idea due to stomach problems from vasculitis.  Well, it seems my disease is not attacking my stomach anymore (for 3 years now) and it seems more focused on the upper respiratory system again.  

I still have 150 pounds to lose.  I NEED help.  I want this damn thing out of my body.  I wi**** had worked the way I was told it would, but having natural inflammation and then add on my disease inflammation and it's messed up.  I don't think  I have any slippage or anything (yet), but if I continue to not be able to eat solid proteins what happens then?  The inevitable I'm sure.

So, thoughts on what I should do?  I'm a little afraid of DS (won't go RNY) due to malabsorption and all my medications for vasculitis.  Thoughts of sleeve???  Can I be successful or will I fail it like I feel I've failed my band?  WIll Medicare even give a crap that I'm choking daily unless I stick to liquids or mushy food????

Thanks in advance
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 1:45 pm - WA
Medicare does not cover the sleeve. Medicare approves the
coverage of the Adjustable Gastric Band. the RNY and the
DS (BPDS-DS). You already have and do not like your lapband
so you only have two choices left if you want Medicare to pay for it.
If you qualify for Medicare, it is pretty easy to get the surgery
covered as long as you are 35 BMI or higher with 1 co morbidity.
 Medicare doesn't care if you are choking daily. They care if you
qualify thru thier requirements. Which I have said above. They also
require you to have a "Previously Failed Weight Loss Attempt" which is your failure on the LapBand
Guernica Loser
on 6/12/12 2:26 pm
 Thanks for the info.  

My surgeon said Medicare is pretty close to approving the sleeve.  I would wait for that.  I really can't do malapsorption.  Otherwise I'd love to get a DS.
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299

bagelface
on 6/13/12 11:08 am
VSG on 08/22/12
I wonder if you could get approved for a full DS and have it done in 2 stages to be super cautious because of your vasculitis.  The first stage is the sleeve.  I think this is done with some SMO patients, so maybe it would work.
Guernica Loser
on 6/13/12 11:27 am
 Hmmmm, good thinking ;)  I like it!!!  I'll bring this up to my surgeon 

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 10:33 pm - WA
wow, that would be awsome. Some People would love to have the sleeve over the other options I would guess.
Most Active