Band improperly placed

jlpettit
on 5/24/12 8:38 am - Long Beach, CA
After suspecting slippage I had an endoscopy. My gastroenterologist tells me my band is around my esophagus, not my stomach. I've had two weight loss surgeons tell me that my Realize band is in the right place, altough I see NO pouch but a distension above my band in my esophogas.

I'm leaning towards the former because either I feel absolutely no restriction or I'm regurgitating water and the slimy stuff in the middle of the night and have severe chest pains and can't breathe when there is "restriction". It's either feast or famine, so to speak.

My surgery was in 2008. I lost a total of 70 lbs (20 before surgery and 50 afterwards). That 50 pounds afterwards was over a 2 frikkin YEAR  PERIOD! In the past year I gained back 25. I am so discouraged when I see the small amounts other patients are eating and how fast they lose weight.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you had revision or just had the damned useless thing removed? Thank you everyone.
Hislady
on 5/24/12 2:45 pm - Vancouver, WA
I gotta say your band can't really be even working the way it is now. Personally I would revise to a sleeve, that way you have one surgery and it's over and done, no fills, no adjusting just on to weight loss. With all the problems the band is causing and with the FDA investigating it I'd just go with a real surgery and get rolling. Good luck what ever you decide.
dhsimaitis
on 5/24/12 3:36 pm
Revision on 04/23/12
All I can find about an FDA investigation is about an 800-get-slim billboard ad...  Is there something else going on, too??? 

God bless all of our efforts...

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/12 7:19 am
Hi,

Sorry you are struggling. My band caused some esophagus issues. I'm looking at revising -- probably to a DS because I need the malabsorption. Best of luck to you.
jlpettit
on 5/25/12 7:38 am - Long Beach, CA
Thank you everyone for your input. It looks like I'll have to research the sleeve and DS.
Nic M
on 5/26/12 1:36 pm
I'm so sorry!  SO many people have had issues like this. I've been watching them happen over and over since 2003. Seriously, you are NOT alone in this.

You absolutely want to avoid damage to the esophagus or the Vagus nerves that run through the diaphragm and into the top portion of the stomach. No matter what. I

GOOD LUCK with revision. I had my band removed in 2005. It was heartbreaking to have gone through all the pain... but now, today? I'm just happy to not be in chronic pain anymore.

I wish you the very best.
~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sugan Spice
on 5/28/12 1:16 am - Gatineau, Canada
Revision on 02/21/12
Oh man! That brings back baaaaad memories!!!  I revised to a sleeve. It was the best choice for me and my surgeon...just wish i had done the sleeve in the first place!

girliegirlgirl
on 5/30/12 1:43 am
 did you have the sleev done the same time the band was removed?  how is life with the sleeve?  any complaints or issues?
jlpettit
on 5/30/12 6:26 am - Long Beach, CA
Do you have to take a lot of vitamins for malabsorption?
Jennifer D.
on 6/4/12 12:26 pm - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12
I had a lapband placed in 2006, was very sucessful until a slip in 2008. Had another band placed.  Now that band has slipped and I am a couple weeks out from RNY. 

I felt like a TOTAL failure... I had WLS and I still couldn't keep my weight in control!!  

Now, I realize that the band has not been a good fit for many people and it wasn't my fault.  I am excited that my jouney with the band is almost over.

Good luck to you!
Most Active